What do you ladies think about the effect of Stress and High Expectations on our FM?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I personally believe that Stress and past Trauma have had and still have a tremendous impact on our symptoms. Low Self Esteem and Low Self Worth, not feeling like we measure up, can create pressure on us so that we cannot find the peace that is essential to cope. Many things happen in our lives to create beliefs about ourselves that seem to be written in concrete in our minds.  I have experienced this in my own life and only when I began to work on building my own self worth and taking better care of my emotions and health, did I begin to enjoy my very existence and take pleasure in simple everyday things that I was missing out on due to worry or comparisons with others. What do you Ladies think about this crucial aspect on our well being?

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes definitely, I avoid stress like its the plague, because I know it flares things up, obviously sometimes that is unavoidable but on those occasions I'm optimistic and it helps, that's my very best quality, optimism always look on the bright side of life.🤗
    • Posted

That is the way to look at things. Life has all kinds of challenges but trying to adjust to each without expecting the worst outcome, is definitely the best coping method. More studies are showing the detrimental effects of prolonged stress on the nervous system and the organs. Not to mention the tension in muscles. So I believe that reducing the amount of stress that we can in our lives is crucial.
    • Posted

Definitely I know from experience, if something is beginning to grind on me, I try to get it sorted ASAP, I'm also realistic, there is always loads out there waiting to pull the rug from my feet but I used to allow myself to get worked up about things that might or might not happen, I do mindfulness now and helps me put things into perspective before it gets to that stage. As you learn to live with this illness and you have truly accepted it that's when you find your coping techniques. Acceptance is the key.
    • Posted

So true! Wonderful that you came to that understanding Trish. I spent many years rejecting or denying that I had this condition. I was so hard on myself that I tried to maintain the same level of activity as my friends and my husband. Oh My! How silly of me! Denial is like a disease in itself. Acceptance, acceptance, acceptance! So liberating. To recognise our limitations and accept them, and embrace them! Self love. A hard pill to swallow for us perfectionists and nurturers.
    • Posted

Once I accepted it, the load was lifted off my shoulders was amazing, the only way is up
    • Posted

What made my condition worse though Trish is that when I came to Australia 15 years ago, I contracted a form of Malaria called Ross River Virus. Then I also had Mononucleosis which is called Glandular Fever here. From that you develop Epstein Barr which stay with you the rest of your life. So I cannot afford to allow myself to become over extended. I had to learn to say no and that is very hard for me.
    • Posted

Same as me, I took a stroke last year and still have problems with that, you are a poor soul, you just keep saying why me? Then up you get dust yourself down, for that part pretend we are in the desert, lol x but we do get up. You sound a strong courageous lady.
    • Posted

Not really. Just as you say, we can't just sit down and give up. I have grand kids and daughters and my husband to look out for. I don't spread myself too thin anymore though. I used to be 911 for my friends at one time. I can't anymore. I still help but I have to be balanced. You are a very courageous woman Trish. A stroke is not easy to deal with. Lovely that you have the personality to cope. 
    • Posted

Just another thing flung at me, isn't it great how God keeps on giving, wait to I meet him! M hm
  • Posted

Absolutely Magpie, fibro loves stress, it really feeds on it, trying to live stress free is the key to living with fibro, most people who are diagnosed with fibro etc..have had some sort of trauma in their lives, whether its emmotional or physical..it seems to be the case with most of us..for getting fibro..mist of us have been found to have fibro for years to before being diagnosed...mine was 10 years..ive had fibro plus other autoimune issues for over 20 years..diagnosed anyway....be blessed, have a lovely day..😘😙
    • Posted

Lovely to hear from your Christine. You are so right. A body can just take so much stress before it begins to break down. We are always worried about being selfish if we take care of ourselves so we go overboard and only learn to put up boundaries after we have gotten sick. I wish I could teach young women to have a balance in this. 
    • Posted

Hiya Magpie2me, hope alls well..I am great at the moment, soo agree with the boundaries, they are just soooo important to us with fibro, even without, healthy boundaries are sooo helpful to our sanity.. lol, be blessed and have a lovely day..😘😘
    • Posted

Glad you are feeling well. We treasure those days! I think it is a.m. where you are. Wishing you a lovely productive day Christine! xo
  • Posted

Hi magpie2me I have had a lot of stress worry upsetment recently, it has made my fibro alot  worse. Trying not to stress worry certainly helps where fibro pain is concerned. I also try focus my mind on other things and not the fibro that seems to help also, along with treating my self now again to something nice or new hair style anything to give me a lift. 
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, There is so many things in life that we just don't have any control over. The actions of others is one. We are typically sensitive people and we invest a great deal in our relationships. When people let us down, which is often the case, we feel a sense of abandonment. I have learned over my lifetime that we really need to nurture our own sense of belonging. It really does come from within. There are some stresses that come to us through other sources of course, such as illness of a family member or financial worries, etc. Keeping a journal is something we should all do. Writing down or typing out our worries and concerns can get it out of our minds and it becomes easier to rationalise and it does not seem to be as big of a mountain. And letting go of things we cannot change or have no control over, is a real factor in creating more peace of mind. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.