What does my blood test mean?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've been experiencing a lump in my throat along with palpitations and PVC's occasionally. At one point I called 911 because I believed I was having a heart attack, which I later attributed to a panic attack. After chest X-rays, blood tests, and echocardiograms, everything came out fine.

My cardiologist had my thyroid tested through blood work. Here are the results:

http://imgur.com/1UlwXPo

Highish FT4 levels. Everything else seems normal. Any expert opinions on this blood work?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi al65479, if you are looking for the expert opinion of a professional then it would be best to discuss your test results with an endocrinologist.  

On this forum you are more likely to get the opinion of patients and laymen who can tell you about their own experience and the information they gathered.  

From your blood work I can see that all thyroid hormones tested are within range expect for Free T3 which is slightly above range. 

Normally, the thyroid produces around 80% T4 and only 20% T3. The rest of T4 is transformed to T3 outside the thyroid.  (T3 is the active form of the thyroid hormone.) 

An elevated T3 may be caused by toxic thyroid nodules that are producing excess T3. 

You will need a follow-up with an endocrinologist. They will investigate the swelling in your throat and advise you further. For more information you can look up 'T3 toxicosis'.

• Posted

I meant: From your blood work I can see that all thyroid hormones tested are within range except for Free T3 which is slightly above range. 

• Posted

Thank you. I have an appoinment with an endocrinologist on Wednesday. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.