What exactly does citalopram do

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a bad experience in June while on holiday,I was eating mash potato and it went down wrong and came back up and I panicked I was going to be sick,this is because of my extreme phobia of being sick(emetophobia).since then it's as if my brain is controlling my ability to swallow naturally,I'm constantly thinking about swallowing when I'm eating and have lost a lot of weight since July.im not sure what exactly the citalopram is doing to help my

Thinking,is it ever going to help me stop thinking about swallowing.i started on 10 mg then 20 then 30 then 40.i have been on 40 for 5 weeks and noticing a little difference that I'm not panicking as much when I try and eat,but I still have the fear of swallowing constantly every day.is the cit ever going to stop me think about swallowing,I'm not sure exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Citalopram is usually the most popular ssri prescribed for anxiety and panic disorder.
  • Posted

I would say you need to see a therapist of some kind to combat your fear, I don't think Citalo is the answer here.

It sounds like you've got yourself into abit of a rut, and you just need to break the circle. You wil get through this.

Good luck and please update us.

• Posted

I have had a 6 week mind and body course and now I'm starting CBT,which hopefully will help,but I'm worried the anxiety about swallowing will never go and I won't be able to eat normal again

• Posted

You will sort it , you just need a litle bit of help, our briansbuild up thesethingsthat arn't really there!

You can do this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.