What exercise with inguinal hernia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since I was-recently- diagnosed with inguinal hernia, everything that I read tells me that I can't do any exercises or work out!

I am extremely worry about the operation.

What should I do?

Can't I do any kind of work out without doing a further damage?

Any advice please would be appreciated :-)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Take medical advice...see your doctor. Personally my inguinal hernia didnt really stop me from doing things BUT it could give me discomfort if I overdid it. Lifting weights probably not a good idea but running etc should be fine. Again see your doctor for advice. 
  • Posted

It was actually exercise that caused my hernias. Sit-ups caused an inguinal, and toe touches caused an umbilical. but really, for anyone that shouldn't have happened. It turned out, a lower back, spine injury from long, long, ago caused my abs to shut down. After your surgery, and a few months of recovery, you should be able to do any cardio, and then weights. Planks will strengthen your abs without any bending. You can also ask about using a hernia truss. Until you get it fixed, there's a good chance it will get bigger. Then, putting it off, won't be an option.

• Posted

I also strongly suspect that my inguinal hernia developed during my work out despite my work out was mainly with lightweights and stretching on the cable machine. I have always been careful and cautious during my work out as I am not a young man.

I have purchased a hernia truss from my local pharmacy, I still feel the burning and discomfort whilst I standstill or walking. I just wanted to do some exercises so I don't start piling up the weight. I am afraid from the operation because of my advanced years :-)

• Posted

hi i am just 120 hours after my hernia surgery ( made with an incision and not laproscopic )  the operation is done in Spain by a very expert surgeon ( head of SPanish surgeons association ) and a big expert on a laproscopic surgery . he decided to do it open surgery instead off laproscopic. My Advice  you need it to fix it sooner or later .operation itself is easy the recovery though is a bitch so far , dont rush, dont be brave  first 3 day are hardest take your pills i could walk ( shuffle ) on day 2 onwards but its depends on te persons pain limits 4th and 5th day is far better i walked a total of maybe 500 meters today and i was tired ,  i think it wil take 3 weeks just to walk normally and i will defo wait 6 to 9 weeks before doing sports . but who knows , a friend of mine who went through the same thing tells me that recovery is gatting much faster after day 4 .. so waiting for it ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.