What happens after emergency Laser Surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had sudden onset acute angle closure Glaucoma last October which I am told is very rare. I had emergency laser surgery within 12 hours and was sent home. I had follow-up appointment 1 month later and all was well. Was told to wait 3 months and then if all ok I would go on waiting list for replacement lens and cataract removal. However our Eye Clinic is overwhelmed and had a letter saying they couldn't see me at 3 months and I would have to wait until appts. became available as and when. Because my sight was blurry I went through PALS to help me get an appt. and was seen at 4 months. Then I was told the drainage channels were open and working well so I would be left for another 6 months to be seen again and that my "sight was good enough", I asked about going on the waiting list for further surgery and was told I had to wait.

My concern is that because my sight is deteriorating I will be left until I can barely see before they will act. I cannot afford to keep going for eye tests and new scripts in the meantime (on a State Pension) so this leaves me high and dry. I had my last eye test and new glasses last July and at that time no cataracts were seen and my eye health was good. I can no longer see through these glasses and night vision is so bad I can no longer watch TV or use my laptop. During daylight I can see better though.

Does anyone know why my sight is getting worse after laser surgery - has anyone on this forum been in my position? Any first hand experience of this and/or advice would be great. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From what I read it takes 3 to 6 months after surgery for vision to be like before surgery
    • Posted

Thanks over 40 - 6 months later my vision just gets worse. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. This has all been a great shock to me as I had no symptoms until suddenly I had 24 hours of dreadful pain and whites turned red in outer right eye -  I could only see a haze which had bright yellow/orange colours inside. Got to surgery and was sent straight to hospital where I was told there was only a 2/3 hour window before I lost my sight. It took over 3 hours to get pressure down to a level that meant they could wait a few hours to give me emergency laser surgery (I had adverse reactions to the meds they were putting into the canula in my hand)  which took place at 7.45am. The surgery took 4 hours because there were problems with the laser penetrating the outer cover of my eyeball. Instead of being soft and squishy it was hard and rejecting the shots. 6 months on and I am experiencing flashbacks and nightmares. Now I am worried that I will eventually lose my sight anyway but the Eye Clinic have not told me or discussed this with me.I have other quite serious health issues, live in a first floor flat on my own without family or friends nearby, so I need to know about long term prognosis. Cannot ask Eye Clinic as I have a 6month wait to see them again IF they can fit me in then as they are so oversubscribed. I guess I need to read this up for myself so can anyone point me to an informative site that will be helpful?
    • Posted

No I can't because I am still under care of Eye Clinic and not been handed back into care of GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.