What happens when you don't watch your sodium

Posted , 4 users are following.

The reason I ask this is because I have been on a diuretic for a month now. Within that month I watched my sodium for about 3 weeks and had no episodes until last week. I wasn't watching my sodium and had an episode. So I went back to watching my sodium. It has been 9 days since my last episode and I have gone back to low sodium for those 9 days . HOWEVER, I had another episode last night.

My question: is low sodium really the key, if so how long until I see relief again ?

Or is low sodium not the answer to mineres?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It definitely will help the inflammation, fullness in your ear but that's a symptom of MD. I have found other things that trigger my MD and one is dust.. I have been unpacking Holiday Decor and I had a reaction to the dust in my ear immediately. Ringing and fullness.. So environment triggers are a issue for me as well as hormonal fluctuations during the month. Often storms can trigger my MD too. Staying on a low Salt diet will help. I take benedry when I am triggered from dust or allergies. It usually takes me a couple of days to get through it.

• Posted

Interesting I wondered if that time of the month is a trigger because it IS that time of month for me also here CA we went from 80s to a hot random 90 degree day and now we're in a mid 70 degree weather

Have u found a way to avoid it when it's the time of the month? I did try taking Claritin for the change in weather to see if it would help but it didn't I ended up having an episode last night

• Posted

Yes during that time of the month we tend to retain water even more. I would suggest progesterone cream. Just rub on your stomach or a little behind the ear. It helps me a lot. As far as Storms those are tricky. Benedryl doesnt help for that but if you are doing low sodium and your diuretic you should be able to work your way through it. Always good to have a advert handy just incase.
    • Posted

I read a study the other day that suggest all MD sufferers might consider getting thyroid checked. It could be another unlining issue . Look the study up on google.
  • Posted

Interesting re your comment on sodium.  My last major attack was almost 12 months ago.  Shortly afterwards I decided to go against all odds and include lots more sodium in conjunction with an autoimmune paleo protocol.  Never been better!!  No medication, just weekly/fortnightly specific neck and shoulder massages (so relative to the ear and for general muscle relaxation.) Removed myself from all stress as well.  So, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.  I had nothing to lose as my episodes were chronic and always ended up in hospital. Hope you get relief soon.  smile  

• Posted

Wow! That is amazing to here this low sodium diet is killing me ! Glad you're doing so much better !

• Posted

Hi Caryl,  how strictly are you following the autoimmune paleo protocol? Are you going to follow a more "normal" paleo diet after a while and the autoimmune protocol seems very restricted.

I am interested in this as a friend who (probably) has MD found that her diabetes improved enormously  - HBA1C levels went right down - when she followed a primal diet.  But she sort of of slid back to a more standard western diet and has since developed the MD symptoms. She started following the low salt advice but did not go back to primal.

So glad you have found a regime which helps you. 

• Posted

Sorry,  that should have been AS the autoimmune protocol seems very restrictive. Brain not awake yet.
    • Posted

Yes, the AS protocol is restrictive and somewhat expensive due to the fact many items are organic. For the first few months I stuck to it like glue, but then gradually added various foods I used to enjoy.  The really interesting thing I found was that foods like dates, bananas, and anything too sweet gave me instant mucus which in turn affected my ears and throat. Fortunately, I really enjoy the basic paleo foods now and also am so much more aware of causes of illness that stem from the gut.  In other words, 'we are what we eat'.  I do incorporate lots and lots of garlic, red onion, and ginger alongwith sauerkraut. And then the good old water, water, water.

• Posted

If you decided to follow the same path, the only suggestion I would make is try and get a well recognised nutritionist to work with you and guide you.  That's what I did. There were a few weeks of trial and error.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.