What happens when you see a hematoligist?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 3 months in from by DVT - groin to ankle and bi lateral PE's and have been on Apixaban.  Due to see hematoligist next week.  Can anyone tell me what to expect and what questions I should ask? I live in Northern Ireland.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am in a very similar situation as you.  In mid October, they discovered bilateral PE's and a DVT from groin to knee.  I have been on Apixaban since then, and have visited a hematologist a few weeks ago.  Basically, the hematologist should perform a coagulation test to see if you have genetic tendencies to clot, which will help to determine whether or not you will remain on Apixaban for life, or just for a period of time.  Do you know what caused your PE's/DVT?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Had first DVT in same leg 46 years ago following a car accident and surgery to remove ruptured spleen (treatment very different then).  This time no reason. I have always been fit & healthy.  Sorry to hear you have the same problem and hope you are making a good recovery.  Just wondered what test they will do - my first d dimer was very high >10 but no tumours found or any obvious cause for this.

• Posted

At 50 years old, This is my first DVT/PE, and no cause has been discovered.  My blood oxygen levels continue to dip into the mid to low 80's with minimal physical activity, so that's also a concern.  My coagulation tests were negative for genetic predisposition to clotting.  I too have always been in good shape, no surgeries, nor leg trauma.  Some of the coagulation tests they may do for you, as they did for me was the DRVVT screen, BETA-2 GLYCOPROTEIN AB IGA+IGG+IGM, CARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODY IGA+IGG+IGM, and CBC.  I hope that it turns out well for you!

• Posted

Very scary how your life can change so quickly. Have managed to build my oxygen levels back up to a reasonable level - I try and walk every day and also push myself on the treadmill. Do not think I will ever scuba dive again. Hoping to get clearance to fly when I see haematologist. Will let you know what tests I get done - have already had loads taken at the start for tumour, iron levels etc.  Are you on Apixaban for life? Any side effects from it?
    • Posted

It's so good that you're able to exercise. I'm planning on getting a portable oxygen concentrator to keep my O2 levels up while exercising.  Looking forward to flying out to Florida for a cruise with the family.  So far it looks like I won't need Apixaban for life, since my recent coagulation tests turned out negative, but may be on it for another 6 months or so.  Side effects for me have been slight dizziness once in a while, as well as cold extremities.  How about you?

• Posted

Had a 2 hour appointment with heamatologist lots of talk but no more blood tests. This time my DVT & PE were unprovoked so have been put on Apixaban for life. Also told to wear compression stocking for at least 2 years. Good news is that I can fly on Sunday (insurance goes up) which is great after cancelling my Xmas trip to Cuba.  Bad news is my scuba diving days are over because of the meds. Enjoy your cruise with the family.  Good luck and Good Health for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.