What has caused my kidneys to reduce Uric acid removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had gout since I was 48 years old and now at age 53 the flare-ups are more frequent from every 4-6 months to every other month. my diet is eat whatever I want and beer, changing my diet has been in progresss for that last couple of years anyways. stopped drinking colas and diet sodas (lost weight and do not miss it) eating a lot less red meat is a good thing eliminating beer is a tough one. In the early years of gout I started with Endometacin,piroxicam, colcrys and a couple others that I forgot the name, these meds worked fine in the beginning then their effectiveness has reduced to "not much help" I have lately had great luck with a 60mg injection of Toradol. my GP wants me to start taking a daily 300mg of Allupurinol (which I have long term doubts of) I am 5"7" 185lbs and mountain bike 2-3 days a week for 20 years.

My question is: what has caused my kidneys to stop filtering out the Uric acid? or is changing of the diet helping the kidneys be more effective? a friend wants me to talk with an accupuncture doc, I do not have renal failure or history of diabetes. thanks for reading this.

Dave

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Diet can always help our bodies work better (or worse!). Also as we get older our bodies change and age. I have just read a book called Trick or Treatment which looks at research on alternative therapies such as acupuncture, acupuncture did not come out too well. I have had acupuncture a couple of times and in my case it was a complete waste of money. 
  • Posted

I asked my doctor exactly this today.  He just said 'genetics'.  But there is no gout that I know of in my family.

I went as I was thoroughly p'd off as not only have I not had a gout attack in 18 months I have also just lost 2 stone and have never eaten or drank less in years. And a huge tight swollen foot for a b week was my reward...

Told doc I dont even LIKE most of the trigger foods (shelfish - yeurghh!).  He said he had a slim teetotal mate who gets gout regularly...

All I can say mate is that at the first (rare)  twinge I take 2 diclofenac and then a couple more staged tablets and this kills any attack flare.  I just didnt do this this time as I thought I had stubbed my toe...but I hadnt.

There is little rhyme or reason in this disease and most GP's (and I dont mean this nastily) are as clueless as far more senior health people.  I effectively self manage and get given diclofenac as these are far more effective than other drugs for me.  And I will NOT give up and go on Allopurinol at age 50.

We are in this alone...

It is NOT a disease of Henry VI and due to indulgence and itsabout b time that judgmental and clinically wrong dismissev approach was consigned to teh dustbin of history.

I do cherry juice and celery tablets and plenty of water - double the water after a drink, and that worked for me...till I went on a diet and ate and drank less!!!

• Posted

I dont seem able to edit the typos in the last two (and out of polace) paragraphs.  Apologies on behalf of this site policies.
  • Posted

Dave have you been eating the good foods as well as avoiding the bad ones?

Cut back on beef, fats in dairy drink 1% milk and don't skip breakfast, that makes you hungrier later. Eat salads more often. Get away from sugar, candy, ice cream, etc. Google gout diet, gout foods, gout charts, web MD, etc. You need to be more alkaline than acidic. Stay away from fruit juices that have too much sugar and HFCS. I went from hurting severely to gout free in 10 weeks. It has been 22 months now and I not on any medicatation. Good luck. Some hints for being more alkaline tart cherry juice, celery, cucumbers in apple cider vinager & water just a water 1tsp. sugar, alkaline water 1 glass/day, drink lots of water. I also bought PHresh Greens powder( 2 month supply lasted over a year as I don't need it much now). Plus all the alkaline veg. & fruits. We are all different so results may vary especially with what you eat & drink. Get your acid level checked. From my experience double the average acid level is pain starts. Over that pain gets bad real fast. Under average is wonderful you feel great again. Also check your triglicerides you don't want them to be high, I'm taking a flax seed oil pill/day. Many choices but it was the cheapest good fat capsul I found. My age is 60. Lost 15 lbs and I walk 3.5 miles 6 day/week. Thank God I'm finally pain free. Go for it you can do it also.

• Posted

Sorry, just 1 point: >>You need to be more alkaline than atry mind...cidic< with the greatest respect, this kind of stuff is absolute nonsense.  you can not influence  your core biological blood ph with what you eat.  drink a pint of something alkaline or acidic and your body will equalise and stabilise very quickly to the std human condition. its an industry of misinformation mind... with="" the="" greatest="" respect,="" this="" kind="" of="" stuff="" is="" absolute="" nonsense.=""  you="" can="" not="" influence=""  your="" core="" biological="" blood="" ph="" with="" what="" you="" eat.=""  drink="" a="" pint="" of="" something="" alkaline="" or="" acidic="" and="" your="" body="" will="" equalise="" and="" stabilise="" very="" quickly="" to="" the="" std="" human="" condition.="" its="" an="" industry="" of="" misinformation="">
  • Posted

I have just started on Allopurinol this week after a gout attack lasting 2 months. The gout certainly seems to get worse with time and it reached a point where is was severely affecting work and daily activities. 

I would say you should self medicate and self regulate until the gout becomes an overwhelming problem. 

I had to have steroid injections to get me mobile, and once it settled the doc started me on Allopurinol. I got a flare up within 24hours, but its now 4 days later and I am back to 95% mobility. 

Gout is associated with premature death. 

Studies show patients taking Allopurinol have a 19% reduction in the risk of early death. 

http://consumer.healthday.com/bone-and-joint-information-4/arthritis-drug-news-39/common-gout-drug-tied-to-lower-risk-of-early-death-in-study-686146.html

Why wouldn't you take it?

• Posted

In regards to the premature death: my understanding is the the high Uric acid level in the blood over a period of time  can permanently damage the kidneys which could lead to premature death.

thank you

Dave

• Posted

I had a Toradol injection two days ago and it only gave me about 40% relief (WHEN the last 5 injections gave me 90% relief) I was prescribed Ibuprofen 800mg three times daily, so in total the Toradol and massive amount of ibuprofen I am still in bed with my leg on a pillow "what the heck"
    • Posted

I was given Depo-Medrone which I found to be immediately effective. 

I found Ibruprofen to be pretty useless, although fairly good at getting rid of headaches. 

I hope you are up and about soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.