what in the world is going on?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I woke up this morning and my right shoulder acts like it's trying to flare again. that's 3 back to back flares. I don't know what's going on! I am on a special diet, no red meat, no gluten, no dairy, not overworking. I skipped a gabatentine pill last night because I couldn't walk straight. I am getting pretty worried that I can't get control of this. I am waiting for the doctor's nurse to call me back right now. I am on plaqineil 200mg 2x a day along with celebrex 200mg 2x a day. Maybe a change in medicine? What do they ususually prescribe after plaqineil?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wow.. Do you take 5 mg prednisone to help with flareups? Are you taking an anti inflammatory? I take tramadol 2x daily for my pain and magnesium.
  • Posted

That isn't a lot of medication. I was up to 3 plaquenil a day, plus methotrexate, plus cyclosporine and prednisone-- and still barely controlled. You need more DMARDS, probably. Talk to your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I also taek Tramadol for severe pain.
    • Posted

I agree... that may not be nearly enough medication for you.

And keep in mind that although a healthy diet is always a good thing and will benefit your whole system, it's really highly unlikely to have any direct effect on your RA, whatever people may tell you.

The best thing a good diet can do for an RA sufferer apart from general improved health will be to help you lose weight. For obvious reasons, actually... with RA creating such a strain on the joints, the lighter weight we have to carry around, the easier it is on them!

Hope it all goes well...

• Posted

I also agree about diet: nothing helps. Being slim does--somewhat.  I tried every one. . . and it never makes a difference, except for sugar--that always makes me feel bad. But I did every other kind of limited diet, anit never helped.

The brest I ever felt was on Ornecia, monthly infusions, but I got sick too often. But my joints were great.

• Posted

That s interesting to hear about your experiences with diet. I tried an elimination diet for 3 weeks but it s quite tough to do and nothing improved. Thought maybe I hadn't stuck it for long enough. Sorry to hear orencia made you sick too often. I am  on rituximab and have not got an infection in the 2 months since first infusion. Have any other biologics been suggested?
    • Posted

I was started on Enbrel, but had to get off of it due to M.S. like neurological problem , so ALL anti TNF (Humera, remicaide) are off the table. I tried rituximab I did the 2 sets of infusions , 6 months apart, and it did nothing for me. Then we went to Orencia which as I said was great, but I had so many bronchial infections that my doctor took me off it. I was also missing lots of infusions, due to illness. So now it's just MTX and Sulfasalazine, and pain meds when I need it, and very small amount of prednisone, because I got stuck on it, and am down to 4/3 mg a day. We might try Xelganz, its fairly new, and doc is deciding if infection rate is low enough for me to tolerate in the post marketing data.

That's my story!! I've been on so many different meds.

I hope the Rituxin helps you!

Take care,

Barbara

• Posted

And you don't get infections now?....just asking cos mxt can be the cause too. I had to come off tocilizumab  because of problems with lungs but it turns out to be RA related not med related so could have carried on but in the meantime was changed to rituxin.saw rheumy yesterday and blood results not as good as hoped for 2 months in but I'm hopeful it ll  improve as I have less places that hurt and actually feel better.

i do hope they find something to help you.i am on top doses too of mxt , sulpha and hydroxy and just beginning the slow step down off pred. 

Take care

Rowbirdie 

• Posted

I am on top dose of Mtx, too, and 600mg Sulfasalizine 2 x a day, and no, not much infections. Actually no major problems with MTX, after getting used to it--enormous fatique in the beginning--so much that I quit one of my teaching jobs. Just couldn't manage.

I'm doing pretty well, but i cold be a little better.

Thank for the good wishes!

• Posted

I'm on rituximab too. Four months in and so far so good. Plan another infusion in two more months.
    • Posted

Barbara, could you be specific about your MTX 'top dose'? How much is that?

I'm also on 15mg a week, plus 2.5 preds

• Posted

Great!

let us know how it goes.

i had an appointment yesterday and still in moderate disease for DAS score but I do feel some improvement.

When I had tocilizumab end of last year it brought down my blood results dramatically so hoped the rituximab would do the same but only had it 2 months ago so not enough time yet to see full effect.

my mxt dose is 25 mg a week. They won't put that up higher I don't think.

• Posted

Sure,

I take I cc by injection , which equals 25mg. I have been told that is the maximum dose. For a number of years I was on .9 cc with other drugs including Enbrel, cyclosporine and Orencia. Currently I take 4 mgs of prenisone, and 3 mgs 2 days a week, Tuesday and Saturday.

• Posted

Hi

i agree with everyone else. You are not on much medication. Plaquenil is quite mild as far as DMARD s go. There is far more they can try which can have an effect on the disease itself ( as opposed to painkillers or steroids)

You ve  been fortunate the RA has been controllable so far, but sometimes things just change and the best thing seems to be to try and zap it with a DMARD .

The standard one is methotrexate( but also there is sulphasalazine or hydro chloroquine ) hope you get a helpful reply from the nurse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.