What is causing my vertigo?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a history of vertigo;

2 years back I suffered a dose of vertigo following a simple cold, which the doctors diagnosed as labyrinthitis, after about 3 weeks it cleared up.

Fast forward a year I caught a stomach bug; following the stomach bug I got another case of severe vertigo, it got to the point where I could not do anything other than lay down, if I was upright whether it be sitting or standing I would feel like I was on a boat with a constant 'travel sickness' feeling... Which being emetophobic, is not ideal.

Follow an MRI and numerous appointments with an ENT they suggested I may have had another period of labyrinthitis but they could not find any problem at that time.

Eventually I managed to fight the dizziness and get over it after 7 months of being housebound and constantly laying down.

Now in the present time, I have just had a cold it started 7 days ago, after 4 days the cold cleared up but I am left with vertigo, it happens if I stand/sit up or walk around, I went to the dr 4 days ago and they gave me some betahistine and told me I have 'congestion' with the vertigo getting worse and starting to get headaches and ear popping when laying down I went back to the drs today she basically told me to be patient and that I have congestion.

Thing is, I have no blocked nose, no infection anywhere; and the vertigo is none existent when I wake up and it gets worse as the day goes on until I am stuck laying down in the evenings.

The past few days I am suffering eye problems too, they go blurry and unfocused.

Im worried Im going to end up with another 7 months laying down.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you talked to your doctor about BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo)? I have many friends who suffer from vertigo. Sometimes it's brought on by illness, such as a head-cold and other times it just appears on its own for no apparent reason. In either case it can last for days or weeks on end and be debilitating.

My friend's sister found an easy way to perform head maneuver routines while sleeping comfortably at night to treat vertigo. She started using it more than a year ago, and almost immediately her positional vertigo went away and has not recurred even once since. She recommended a SimBalance Pillow system

If you have BPV I would definitely look into it. No one should have to suffer from dizzy spells for 7 months!

• Posted

Dear 5headh,...your symptoms sound just like mine...started with a cold, took over 16 months to feel normal....felt good for 7 months, got a stomach virus and a couple of days later the vertigo, dizziness, not spinning, has started AGAIN. Feel like I am on a boat, very exhausting....

Going to try meclizine tonight! UUUUUUGGGHHHH...this can't be happening again!

• Posted

I am currently going through this. It is scarey. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

I have a stomach virus For 2-3 days now I feel sick I'm non stop throwing up for both days.. I'm only 13 and Im getting constant dizzy spells feelling Like I'm in a boat as well I always feel dizzy.. I'm very low on vitamin D could this be the cause if dizziness I'm a 3 when it comes to vitamin D someone help please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.