What is PTSD?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys.

It's my first time in this forum. I recently was diagnosed with PTSD. I also have depression and anxiety. I been through violence at home where I was beating every day but I have begun to read things about PTSD and I bit confused. Is ptsd only a mental illness or can it be a physical thing. And is it right that people with metal illness die quickly then the average person and if so what should a person do with that information. Personally it scares me so much that I become even more depressed. I don't take any medication but I am going to a therapist soon. I also have Physical pain and low auto immune system. I hope that I can get some answers to my questions.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hanna, I have only just read your post and I really feel for you that you are going through such a tough time.  I don't begin to admit that I can understand all the physical problems due to violence but I do understand that if left untreate like my ptsd was for over 20 years that you start to become immune to all the pain, anxiety and fear.  As to your confusion the information out there is a mindfield and something not easy to understand - just remember this, you have asked for help, you will get help and it is the 1st positive step to getting yourself emotionally as well as physically better you hope.  If you are really struggling your doctor should be able to support you if there decent, but mention it if you're struggling to your regular doctor and see if there is anything they can suggest.  Your physical health may well improve when you get the support you obviously so desperately need.  Good luck and well done for saying you're struggling that's the hardest thing! 

• Posted

Hello Hanna

I deal with my P.T.S.D. by distracting myself in the day and trying to do things that relax or make me happy.

I went to a  church hall one for lunch and met some lovely people. It lifted my spirits.

Life really can be what you make it.

• Posted

No you don't die young.

I deal with my condition by distracting myself in the daytime.

You are so not alone in your fear.

When you wake up each day make yourself go out so that you do not dwell on the situation.

Hugs

• Posted

PTSD is not physical, but like any form of anxiety or depresseion it can manifest physical symptoms - that doesnt mean there is anything wrong phsyically, it is just the bodies reaction to stress
  • Posted

Hi

PTSD is a mental state in which you react when in a certain scenario. For example I am a victim of sexual assault and I've noticed I am traumatized because I don't let any doctors touch me down there. My body tenses and I begin to cry uncontrollably. I've started to take therapy to cope with it and I don't need medication. They ask just in case but a low dosage shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.