what is the most popularly used monofocal iol lens?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I planned to use Symfony, but now, it seems the night concentric glare is annoying. I am thinking use monofocal. Is Tecnis one piece the most popularly used? Anyone has implanted it? Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lovewater, I have had cataracts removed from both eyes and never was it discussed about lens that they were inserting, this I would assume would be the decision that the Surgeon would make having all the details about the prescription of your eyes that would presumably have been done prior to operations.

What do you think 

Regards Agnes

• Posted

My wife has a Technis Z9002 Aspheric Silicone IOL for her eye and has been reasonably happy with it.

There are many differences between the various IOL designs, which affect how well they do for the individual eyes (regarding sharpness of vision, glare, tendency to cause Posterion Capsule Opacification etc). The optic diameter (6 mm is better than 5 mm to avoid visual issues at night), the type of lens edge (a sharp edge or a rectangular edge may cause an increased incidence of persistent edge-glare compared with a round-edge, but has other benefits), the lens material (silicone, hydrophobic acrylic, hydrophilic acrylic) are all important considerations in the lens selection.

Every surgeon seems to have their own preferred monofocal IOL. The best thing will be for you to have a discussion with your surgeon on which one he (or she) prefers and why.

• Posted

thank you, at201, it is really good to hear your wife positive result. I learned that Silicone iol has low refractive index, so has no noticeble external reflection. You might feel strange why I care external reflection so much. yesterday, I talked with my friend, she did catatract surgery about 10 years ago in Canada, everything is fine. Only sometimes at night, her husband and her son said her eyes has green shining glare, bur she could see it herself. Maybe I should not care this so much.....
    • Posted

That is interesting because one reads a lot about internal reflections due to the IOL design, but not much about the external reflections.

Just to make my answer on the IOL materials more complete, the STAAR nano-flex lens uses a completely different material called Collamer, which (I think) has slightly-lower-than-Silicone refractive index and has some other anti-reflective design features. STAAR is a relatively smaller company and has not marketed their design as well as the larger companies. But if your surgeon offers it, you may want to find out more about it.

• Posted

re: "night concentric glare is annoying"

No lens is perfect. Many people feel that the certainy of a greater loss of near vision with a monofocal would be far more annoying than a low risk of concentric ring halos with the Symfony. Glare is a separate issue than the concentric ring halos, I have noticeably  less glare problems from  headlights with the Symfony than I can recall having before I had cataracts. The risk of problematic glare is low with the Symfony, not much different from a monofocal. Some people have problematic halo&glare issues with a monofocal.

That said, some people of course prefer to the tradeoffs of monovision or varifocal/progressive glasses to any slight risk of a visual artifact at night. Some people have low tolerance for risk or are perfectionists and  would be bothered by any risk of night vision issues, even if it means they need to wear correction more, and aren't good candidates for a premium lens. In my case it seemed there was a low risk of problems that would lead me to wish a lens exchange from a premium lens, and the more convient range of vision was worth the risk. 

In terms of which monofocal IOL is best, they aren't all created equal, but they don't differ as much as premium lenses. Unfortunately that means many surgeons don't choose them based on which has the best features, but merely based on cost or what their sales reps say or their colleagues use, or what their clinic uses by default based on their deals with distributors. There aren't many studies out there on their differences. Some people claim the SoftTec HD and at least one other monofocal I don't remember offhand have a bit more depth of focus than the usual monofocal, but I hadn't checked on the data or how their other attributes compare, e.g. their risk of halo&glare issues or contrast sensitivity. Many seem to feel the Tecnis IOL is a better choice than the common Alcon IOL, but both are popular. For more information on the Tecnis IOL including some optical bench images comparing it to other monofocal IOLs, google:

"TECNIS 1-Piece IOL demonstrates better MTF efficiency in low-light conditions, which can provide a meaningful safety benefit to your patients"

• Posted

i have alcon  Aspheric and love them...absolutely no problems...the clarity is fantastic

• Posted

Thank you sue, good to hear positive results. I have a question, alcon lens has external reflection?  expecially at night, when you look into mirro, could you see glare of the lens?  That is my concern, thank you
    • Posted

no sir, no reflections at all. i was transplanted in dec of 2016 and it's as if they are not even there.  i see better at night than i have in years.  most important is skill and experience of your surgeon..  wishing you the best.

• Posted

I finally found an article written by Gary N Wortz, MD, "IOL Material Properties: Contributions to Visual Quality and Patient Satisfaction," in which he gives the refractive index of some of the common monofocal lenses and seems to make the point that while acrylic IOLs (with higher refractive index) have the advantage of being thinner making their insertion in the eye easier, he has stopped using them due to associated external glint in high number of patients. You can probably google that, so that you are aware of his explanation of the eye glint effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.