What is wrong with my health?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am looking for some help - please take a moment to read. 

I have had a general malaise feeling since I was a teenager (I am 28 now). I get headaches everyday, feel lethargic all the time, feel nauseous, joints hurt, weak, and I get sick very easily. When I break out, my acne stays as sores for months and heals very slowly.  My mother had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with me, which I have always thought that may be why I feel so bad all the time.

I have two daughters, one is 7 and the other is a year and a half. When I was pregnant with both I underwent a Gestational Diabetes test around 24 weeks and they came back normal. I have a neurologist I see for my headaches and we have literally tried every medication on the shelf with no luck. The medication I take only helps about 50% of the time.

This is ruining my relationship with my husband, daughters, and work and I need help. I have researched everything under the sun and still have no clue as to why I feel like this all the time. I have seen tons of doctors and I cannot get any answers. Blood tests are always normal: kidneys, liver, gallbladder, iron, thyroid are all normal. I also take vitamins every day so I don't think it is a deficiency. I have had a brain MRI and a CT scan on my organs and everything is good.

I have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep and feel tired the next morning regardless of how much sleep I have had. I haven't felt "refreshed" after waking up since I was a child. When I do sleep I sweat a lot and my sweat smells very sweet, like syrup. I have ulcers in my stomach because of the amount of medication I take for my headaches. While I have been feeling ill since I was young, it just hit me very hard this past year. I used to have energy to go out with friends, cave diving, hiking, camping, etc. I used to get excited about work because I wanted to climb the ladder. Now all I want to do is sleep and I am no longer impressing anyone at work. At this pace I am scared about what my future holds and if I am strong enough to continue. When I was about 14 my retina somehow detatched and reattached itself (rare). I had to get a laser procedure to fill the hole it left in my eye, but I still see light flashes to this day. I have been working out at least 3 times a week since I was a teenager, but this past year I have not because I just don't feel well.

If anyone has had the same experience please help. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also, just to note I am not overweight. I am 125 lbs and I eat decent meals. This past week I have lost 4 lbs because I just feel so awful I haven't been able to eat. Even with my young age I was diagnosed with high cholesterol a year and a half ago and was put on statins to lower it. However, they have been ineffective.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel. I am so sorry you are going through all this. I am a 65yr old male, so some of your symptoms don't apply. I have been struggling with fibromyalgia for a few years now & some of your symptoms echo mine. My sister has Lupus & some of your symptoms are the same as hers. My similarities are the overwhelming tiredness & weakness in the muscles. Sweating at night also, but I think the sweet smell is possibly down to medication or diet. My water smells sweet, like SugarPuffs when I eat SugarPuffs. Some ailments can baffle the experts, but don't give up, you will find the answer. Lee.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia some time ago but I dismissed it. They put me on Lyrica and it did not help at all and after about 6 months started to shut down my kidneys. I definitely don't think it is Fibromyalgia. 
  • Posted

Rachel, I am so sorry you feel so rough. One thing did you have your vitamin D level tested? Quite often doctors do masses of blood tests and don't do this one. It does not explain all your symptoms but it is worth discounting it. Also if you are taking a lot of medication that will not help as invariably they seem to have side effects, some quite nasty.
    • Posted

I only take one medication daily (Cymbalta for depression) and the other one as needed (Fioricet and/or ibuprofen for migraines). So I don't think it is the medication as I don't really take that much. I have not had my vitamin D tested, I am actually going tomorrow to get that tested along with other tests including diabetes. Since I did not have Gestational Diabetes I don't think it is diabetes, although it seems like many of the signs point in that direction (unless pregnancy can temporarily cure diabetes, which I have never heard of). I do take vitamin D, magnesium, b12, and omega 3 daily but it has virtually no effect on me.
    • Posted

Rachel, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago and told that it is an incurable condition that can only be 'managed'. I was eventually diagnosed earlier this year with severe vitamin D deficiency and osteomalacia (adult rickets). After seven months of treatment, my health has really turned a corner, and my sore joints, tender ribs and aching feet have really improved. Vitamin D deficiency can also cause serious skin problems, and psoriasis can be treated now with topical vitamin D. It's good that you're having that checked out tomorrow! If it turns out that you have low D, then at least you can look forward to an effective treatment. Wishing you all the best. 
    • Posted

Thank you, I hope I can figure out what it is. I have been trying to find out for years now and all my testing has revealed an otherwise "healthy" person... even though I do not feel that way. If this doesn't reveal anything I am going to a holistic doctor in hopes they can find something.
    • Posted

I hope things go well with the tests. Cymbalta can cause excess sweating. Also there is a contra indication between Ibuprofen and Cymbalta, as they can both cause stomach problems as a side effect. If your doctor recommended the two it should be OK though. You may be better off just ensuring you have a diet which is balanced rather than taking supplements, unless you are found to be deficient and they are recommended.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.