What kind of boot?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had problems using a scooter after getting a boot? I have been in a splint and today got my boot (vaco cast). The pressure of the boots hurts. Maybe I need a different boot.

Thanks,

Karren

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have an equalizer air walker only hurt the 1st time I used it because I inflated the air chamber to much. 

Does not sound right I would give a call to your Ortho. office asap

• Posted

Hi,

Been in a boot for 7 weeks.  (an equalizer air walker) Never hurt.  Just got very sweaty.  Get it checked out.  

• Posted

No pain using a scooter for me Karren, not sure what make the boot is but it's not a vacocast. I think it's just a cheaper NHS version!
  • Posted

I have a vacocast and a scooter.  I had to buy a fleece liner to go over the pad of the scooter because the pad didn't give enough.  I also have to adjust where my leg is on the scooter occasionally.  
    • Posted

Holly,

Thank you. When did you rupture your achilles? What is your protocol?

• Posted

Well.... I ruptured it on Sept 29, 2015 and then re-ruptured it 10 weeks later. I had surgery the first time but we decided to do the non-operative thing the second time.  The first time, I was in PT by week 3-4 and was out of my boot by week 8.  This time, they kept me in a cast for 3 weeks and then I went to a Vacocast with a promise that I would treat it like a cast for 2 more weeks.  Now, I'm on week 5 and am working on getting full weight bearing.  Then, he'll start working on reducing the PF from 20 degrees to 0.  
    • Posted

Hi holly,

I'm so sorry you re-ruptured. Do you think it's anything you did or didn't do? Like all of us I'm paranoid. My doctor says no Pt until week 8 and I think that sounds late.

This injury has really taken its toll emotionally. Trying get to change that.

I'm impressed you went on vacation. I had to give up mine.

Any good ideas for is greatly appreciated.

Karren

• Posted

Karen - How are u doing?  Guess we both are learning it's even harder than first imagined.  Seems more up and down now than it was initially.

I’m never sure if I am doing the correct thing.   We have a protocol the Dr. gave me  . but he  does not seem to want me to follow it.    It calls for  ROM with PT after 2 weeks but on our 2nd appt (end of 4 wks) he tells me to wait till week 6    To see PT and start ROM.   So I went and scheduled with PT anyway and the PT said something like “why did you wait so long? “   amazing.  Never know for sure if you are doing the right thing

There are a lot of videos and blogs and it seems ROM should start week 2 and Full weight around week 6 but I just read about someone who did great who was in a cast for the first 6 weeks.  Oh well.    

I hope you are doing better.  Did they ever do an xray?  Maybe you

Cracked something else and it is causing the pain.  Just a thought . 

Wish I had some good advice but I am still trying to figure this out.

Jan 2 was not a good day for either of us!  

• Posted

Hi steve,

I agree with you....I have so many different protocols in my brain. My doctor had me full weight bearing at 3 weeks. I really started at 4 weeks. But I pretty much walk everywhere. I was able to ditch the crutches after a few days. The pain is much better (thanks for asking). She doesn't want me to do any pt until week 8. I'm so afraid that too late.

I have been doing a little Rom on my own. But, I have no idea what else I should be doing

Most everything I read says early weight and early pt are what we need to do. Especially for non- surgery.

This is so frustrating!! The fear of re-rupture is always in my head.

I wish it was more cut and dry.

Are you having any issues with your other ankle? I think mine is sore because of taking all the weight and pressure.

Please keep me informed of your progress it really does help.

Take care!

• Posted

Hi Karren. I'm 8.5 weeks in to my recovery now and was pretty much FWB in the boot after 4-5 weeks at least over short distances like at home or work. I'm now moving around at home FWB without the boot although I can only do so by keeping my knee fairly locked. I shouldn't technically be doing this yet and have only very gradually progressed to this point due to having no pain. I have booked in for private PT starting 2 days after my next consultant appointment which is on 22nd Feb when I'm hoping I can ditch the boot completely. The PT didn't want to start treatment until after I've been given the OK by the consultant and this will be 10 weeks since the injury. I'm not saying my experiences are right or wrong, just reassuring you that I don't think there is any cause for concern about not progressing quickly enough. Keep your chin up! Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.