What other symptoms go along with a kidney infection besides flank pain ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have had nausea and chills but no fever. The pain is no better than when I started 4 days ago.  Ok laying. Standing and bending bring on horrific pain. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure this is a UTI?
    • Posted

Went to dr. I have had kidney stones for over 10 years.but last scan 3 years ago. I have some in both kidneys but have never had symptoms of kidney pain other than when I had lithotripsy years back. 2 weeks ago felt  like I might have a the start of a bladder infection 2 weeks so I upped the cranberry juice and water etc. Had the pressure across abdomen and frequent urination etc .  All subsided and a week later started feeling some lower pelvic discomfort. Progressed to groin area and lower back on right side. Even in to the butt "cheek". That is when I went to doctor. On Cipro for almost 4 days. There was no blood in urine but there was leukocytes indicating infection. Along with chills and nausea the doctor suspected  bladder infection traveled to kidneys. 

• Posted

Cipro and anything in that family is not a good antibiotic (google it) because of side effects.

Did your doctor not continue you on an anibiotic?  Whenever I have a UTI (and mine run in "spells" of one after another for periods of 3-6 months and then it might be five years until the next one), I always have blood in my urine (first sign), pain and pressure directly above the bladder, back pain directly over the kidney on either side, extreme fatigue, stress incontinence (the constant urge to go causing you to bear down and maybe produce a drop or two of urine) and the flank pain you mention.

Since you have a history with kidney stones, you might question your doctor as to whether or not you need to be thoroughly checked again. 

• Posted

Thanks for your input Sandra. I have used Cipro with great success in the past for a UTI. It's been many years though. I've not had an infection in about 5 years. This pain is different though. No pressure. I can walk to and from the bed to the restroom but 5 or 10 minutes standing and I get lower pelvic pain. Ureter area.  No abdominal discomfort. i am drinking fluid like crazy and passing without pain.  The doctor told me to stay away from potassium rich foods for awhile because of their affect on the kidneys during an infection. 

• Posted

I understand about the cipro, I have seen quite the side effects from it, however people with an allergy to penicillin that need a broad spectrum antibiotic this is the one that is usually prescribed as other antibiotics do not kill the proper bacteria.  If kidney infection is suspected and it is too urgent to wait for culture than this is prescribed.  Some antibiotics that are used for bladder infection do not work for kidney infections.  
  • Posted

Kidney infection causes nausa, chills, vomiting sometimes.....you also may experience bladder issues......I hope you go to the doctors as you do not want to leave one unattended.  You need to have a urinalysis done, they may order a culture but that takes a couple days, so if they feel it is an infection they will prescribe an antibiotic.
    • Posted

Yes on Cipro since Friday afternoon. I have kidney stones . Have had since 1998.  I have sponge kidneys and have had my share of bladder infections but never a kidney infection.   This pain is different. Doctor cultured urine but no results yet. Pain is only when I bend , stand for more than 5 minutes.   Very nauseated.  Cipro worked for my UTIs but not taking effect yet.  
    • Posted

if you are feeling no relief once antibiotics are done, I would revisit for another urinalysis.  Some infections can be stubborn depending on the bacteria.  It could also be your stones acting up, even though you never had symptoms before doesn't mean you won't at some point.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.