What physical exercise do you do for Vestibular Retraining?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't mean VRT, but physical exercise, things that keep your body in shape while you are recovering from this condition (and might help with the vestibular system too)? My neurologist suggested ping pong, but apparently I am no good at it anymore... just went to an organization today and I pretty much "flunked out"!

One womans sarcastically asked me "Does your doctor KNOW what ping pong is?" and then said "You've got to move your body when you play". I think I was doing pretty good because it was 2-on-1, me having to react to the ball all by myself, no partner! Another one said "Even people that have no balance people fall here, so you have to be aware of that - this is competitive, not a casual game." (I didn't fall or even get off-balance!). And it was at a community senior center! After the 4-minute game, I just put the ball and paddle back on the table and left, no one even encouraging me to try again. Or said goodbye! (I did make 3 good shots, but the score was 3-8.)

I guess I'm just venting, because I had a rude clique of people that have played together for years, but am interested in hearing what else people with a balance problem can do. 'Can't ride a bike, 'can't walk without a cane, not for very long because my back starts getting muscle spasms, swimming is out (no place), and I certainly can't run on a treadmill or play any kind of team sport!

Ideas? Picture attached is the PT test I had that I scored an overall balance of 29% and then 34%, so it's not all in my head confused.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, sounds like you're venting but who can blame you? The last thing you need when you feel like thisis a group of geriatrics trying to make themselves feel important by disrespecting other people. I can say that because I'm weeks away from 60 myself! I suggest you mix with people of mixed ages rather than these self important plonkers. Unfortunately I can't think of a suitable form of exercise right now but will let you know if and when something springs to mind. In the meantime I wish you the best of luck.!!
  • Posted

Try Tai Chi is a chinese technique, maybe watching it on youtube and repeati g will help, just saying, i hope you do better and just igonere them rude people! GOD BLESS YOU. and help you recover.
  • Posted

Yes inagree with Ray, Tai Chi would be ideal as it is slow and you can go at your own pace.  I found a good one n youtube that i can forward of you want. (Email me on PM as i cant do links)
  • Posted

Thank you for the suggestion of Tai Chi... I am signed up to start on Thursday, but I don't think that will be good cardio/ exercise, but yes, good for balance. And thanks for the words of encouragement! 
    • Posted

Lol, yes, I would if I could, but I was curious as to what others can do. Cannot ride my bike like I used to, or job. I would fall flat on my face. Apparently I can't even do ping pong biggrin
    • Posted

Lol, yes, I would if I could, but I was curious as to what others can do. Cannot ride my bike like I used to, or jog. I would fall flat on my face biggrin
    • Posted

Me neither, bikes and all that are completely out, as i cant make quick movements anyway!  I Think some,people,can do certain things others cannot,,it's all depending on which kind of vestibular problem they,have, age, and other illnesses too. 
  • Posted

I second (third?) Tai Chi and also yoga. You may think I'm crazy but what about jumping rope for cardio?  I'm not as good as I used to be, but I can go for a while still...I just stop & start (trip up but not fall down) more than as a young girl. 

Do you think you could handle stationary equipment like a stationary bike or treadmill or stairmaster?  Walking actual stairs can give you quite a workout when ever you want one...

Sorry about your ping pong experience, Dee!  Hang in there!! 

• Posted

Thanks Aveline. Yes, treadmill walking might be ok, since I can hold onto the bars. Jumping rope might actually help with the vestibular rehab, 'never thought of that. It's the same as going over bumpy roads, in a way. I forogt, I have an old version of a stairmaster in the cellar, where your arms move too. That would work also. Tai Chi starts Thursday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.