What's a barium meal actually like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a few attempted endoscopies but they have failed due to my gag reflexes, so I've been given an appointment for a barium meal x ray. I've found some info on here about barium enemas, but not barium swallow or meal. I'm quite worried about feeling sick / bloated afterwards. Can anyone tell me what it's really like? Thanks 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It is quite simple. It is quite a small ammount to swallow, I'd say about a  third of a cupful and you drink it in small ammounts.They tilt the table to get it to spread about and take a series of X-Rays.

You can see it on their screen. If you are a chatty person ask them to explain it as they are doing it. I've had so many as like you I gag and won't have another endoscopy that I can tell what they are seeing on the screen.

You should not feel bloated but you will pass rather solid white stools on the next two days!. 

• Posted

I think that they now have a choice of flavours!
  • Posted

i had one today, give me the camera again anyday,   i was given a sachet of powder to dry swallow, very hard to do in one go so be warned dont be clever and tip the whole sachet in at once, i felt like i couldnt breath and was choking, this was then followed by a little bottle of lemon juice, me being me was full of jokes and wisecracks, i mean fancy giving someone who already has acid problems lemon juice when they avoid anything citrus like the plague, anyways eventually it all goes down, at this point your allready told avoid the urge to burp, swallow it down, you stand on this platform and get given a cup of thick white liquid, believe it when they say its heavier than it looks, you then get instructed to stand in certain ways with this thing coming at you and moving around as dose the platform your on, you will be told to take a mouthfull of the liquid then hold in your mouth then when to swallow then when to swallow your saliva, this is done in numerous positions, including a lie down one, the platform your on and the big tall thing you lean against becomes a bed. the white liquid was pretty tasteless after the powder and lemon. oh while lying down you are fed some bread soaked in the liquid. its fairly straight forward and nothing to be scared off. i got my results immediately of their findings but was told that they images and videos will be looked at again and results sent to drs. then your free to go  all in all it was about 15 20 minutes long, 
    • Posted

I had my 5th or 6th one last week. I had a sachet of powder but no lemon juice nor did I get the bread. Strange how procedures vary from hospital to hospital.

The barium was in a can this time that was pretty heavy when I picked it up to look at while talking to the nurse. They just put about a quarter of it into a plastic cup.

The doctor doing the procedure is also a sufferer and like me should have an endoscopy but also 'Doesn't fancy it'

Have a toilet brush ready on Saturday to break up the Poo you pass. It is pretty heavy and does not flush. If you have coloured toilet bowl and you leave it too long it evidently will take the enamel off.

• Posted

errr not looking forward to the toilet side might just go get some ex lax lol, i allready suffer with ocassional constipation with this added test to make it worse.

i clean toilets as part of my job, 18 twice a day, after both adults and teens, adults are my far the worse for leaving a toilet a mess, teens just leave everywhere a mess. i ended up having my cup refilled, 

• Posted

yes same here, 4 cups of tea and a bottle of smoothi so far so now got squeaking noises and cramps grrr

• Posted

well thats the toilet done, normal colour and everything else, so either im lucky or not passed that part yet. can i ask did you or anyone else have losing voice at times, tlking to people im going from normal to husky to no voice or a nuffeled like sound, people are quiet bemused by it, me im finding it frustrating now, throat feels like its on fire, just wondering if its the effects from taking the powder dry and finding it difficult to swallow and the resulting choking sensation or if im more aware of the reflux but been like this since the enscopy 3 weeks ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.