What's a purpose?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I often find myself wondering what I have to live for. I used to enjoy my significant other and friends but they don't need me. I have material possessions that I enjoy gathering but, I don't really care about them. They are just pieces of materials that make something that can be replaced. I'm not "suicidal" I just don't know what to live for other than getting rid of anything that doesn't have sentimental value and if I ever did accomplish that, then what? A car almost hit me the other day and I stood there watching it come at me. I didn't care. I didn't flinch. There was no fight or flight. My mind just said "oh look a car heading my way." Am I just empty?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi,

dont know what may have happened to make you feel so low but but do ask for help from somewhere. I lost my partner 5 months ago so am struggling most days but have never stood in front of a car coming at me. If you cant talk to friends or family try to

see a counselor , I am about to have one session which I am paying for as NHS a long wait. Please try to find some positives in

your life and ask for some help. Life is short.

good luck

• Posted

Think hard,and deep we all have a purpose .....granddaughter,son,daughter.....but on the other side of the spectrum we have none ....Depression I believe .....I 100% fight everyday to enjoy my purpose in life ...it,s hell at the moment I m existing because I have to I m a mother......take care and be careful .....i also have material things in life but why to me they ate just there and give me no pleasure ......its a mood it will pass ...here's hoping....and for you too ....

• Posted

I started to not care about anything after taking an antidepressant some several months. Yes it helped with depression,but it made me not care about anything - good or bad.Then I started taking better care of myself, changed my diet, drinking green smoothies, and exercising, and it turned my life around. I quit the antidepressants and haven't gone back.

• Posted

Could you do some voluntary work so that you feel you're helping someone? That would give you a purpose. Or take up a creative hobby that you enjoy? I started helping in a Charity Shop when I was depressed, and it did help. But if you really feel that life has no purpose you need to seek medical advice.

• Posted

you need some hobbies and interests or even someone to love.
  • Posted

Hi jumble. I totally get it. I feel more and more like that as time passes. I have very few friends and an unsupportive family. Difficult relationships due to being BPD. I've tried to "find faith" but can't. I too don't know what to do to turn myself around. I have been seeing therapists for 20 years now, sometimes ip to 4 days a week for long periods. In the end I'm still struggling to make any sense of me in this world. I too am not actively suicidal but have many thoughts about not wanting to be here.

The one thing i have consistently done is to keep seeking help and persist with it. And after my last suicide attempt 4 years ago I remind myself of the pain I'd be bringing to those who are close family or true old friends (there aren't many but it's enough ).

So I keep myself as safe as I can be, continue therapeutic work and get through each day as best I can.

This probably doesn't help much but as I said you're certainly not alone.

Keep breathing!

All the best.

Sarah ??

• Posted

Hello Sarah so painful to read and yet so real when its where you are

in times like this when we all feel as you do now ,Iam there myself ,its to try and create a purose as you are now laying everything bare very humble ,you are helping people without knowing it ,you are not alone 

with best wishes 

Mary

• Posted

I could've written what you just did Sarah . It def helps me to feel I'm not alone, but I so wish I could feel happy, content. I'm just existing.

Jumble, so sorry you're feeling this way. I cannot help as I feel the same, I think you need some medical help.

I wish you well xx

• Posted

Thank you Mary for saying that. None of us want another soul to feel this way but it's a truly disturbing and distressing reality for more of us than society cares to know or care about. It's existential and it's raw and elemental and immobilising. It is reassuring to know that you're not alone but I wish I didn't have to need that from others. Take care everyone who suffers from this form of depression.,Every now and then it does lift for a bit and you get a chance to breathe and take a break from it. Sarah. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.