What supplements and or herbs/minerals are ok while on Eliquis and Cardizem!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All! I was recently diagnosed with A Fib almost a month ago. Now I am on 5mg of eliquis 2xs a day and 90mgs of Cardizem plus 100mg of metroplol succinate. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am now also on synthroid as well. I was told by my cardiologist (electro something doctor) that this was most likely not my first A Fib episode. I have probably had a few before but just never new it and my heart was able to get back down to a controlled sinus rhythm without assistance. Well such was not the case a month ago when I was rushed to the ER (very tachycardic)...hard to breath and heart beats over 160. Very scary moment. A FIB is now controlled with these meds. My question is I was adviced not to take any aspirin...advil, fish oil, eat any leafy greens, or.grapefruit. My body is definitely lacking other nutrients so what other supplements can I take while on the meds that I am on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hu Jaylee-welcome to the club-not one we would willing want to belong to!

​The Eliquis is a blood thinner. As Aspirin and fish oil tend to do this as well  that is probably why they caution against it. I am on both Eliquis and fish oil and if l find l am bleeding too much l regulate the doses. I need the fish oil for my arthritis to lubricate the joints.

​Advil is Ibuprofen (nurofen) an antiinflammatory. I regularly take voltaren for pain relief. You have to weigh up the risks for yourself. I wouldnt be without it.

Grapefruit should not be consumed with cholesterol reducing drugs (statins).

The best person to ask is your pharmacist.

• Posted

For pain, you can take Tylenol -- no ibuprofin like Advil, Motrin or aleve. 

For or your blood thinner, u might want to ask your doc about predaxa because it is the only one of the newer drugs that has a reversal.  Eliquis does not. 

• Posted

i am on eliquis plus a baby asa. no diet restrictions i know of.
    • Posted

Wow Afiblady. How much eliquis are you on if you dont mind me asking. And yes Vitamin K is not suppose to be ingested over 1 serving per day as it decreases the ability for Eliquis to work.
    • Posted

Eliquis5mg 2xday and 81 mg Asa once a day. Two cardiologists recommended this. I have no other risk factors except afib and 75 lbs overweight. I am so 69.
  • Posted

I'm not sure why your Electrphysiologist would warn you off leafy greens unless you are on Coumadin .It might be prudent to ask him/her. I take Magnesium ,Taurinee,BComplex,B12, Potassium, Fish oil,and a few others for calming my heart and allowing me to sleep.Its a regime I worked out for myself with help from some other people. Who have had AFIB for as long as myself. It's been trial and error and I never stop reading and learning as most Drs don't know a whole lot about how to treat it either. I've been given some very strange and conflicting info over the years from the medical profession. On being diagnosed many years ago after passing out on a train I was told, don't worry it won't kill you. Well it may not kill me but it can cause strokes and bleeds that will. strokes from AF are more devestating than other types and have a higher mortality rate. Apart from that it has made my life totally different to what it was. Can't exercise like I used to, had to cut back on work,can't enjoy a beer or a wine and much much more. Having said all that, you must eat well, stay hydrated,exercise to keep fit and try not to stress . You will become more tolerant of it but it takes time. in the meantime educate yourself about the condition.The more you know the less you worry.All the best

• Posted

How do u know the magnesium, potassium, and other stuff is in the right amount for u? R u tested regularly?its like an overdose of vitamins and minerals is as bad as not enough. Just wondering how u decided on a certain amount.
    • Posted

I read books on the subject. I study medical research papers. I talk to people who suffer AFIB who have scientific backgrounds and then I make a decision through some trial and error about what is best for me. In other  words I take charge of my own health. Example; Magnesium is a very important part of our body's mechanism and is vital in aiding and supporting the way our body functions. A very wise young man who was my sons Oncologist when my son was dying from bone cancer said to me " get out there and read and ask and discover . We (doctors) dont  know everything" Find your cure if Drs can't...we may not be 100% successful but we did no harm.

• Posted

Just looking for answers myself. Thank u.
    • Posted

afibbers is a really good site with lots of info and reading. the majority of the contrbutors have AF. It is a great resource. You an join up just to read and post or you can pay to receive current info. Either way it's all helpful.  Take Care and good luck.

• Posted

both my husband and I suffered fromAFIB for years. By accident I discovered that taking aloe vera in the moring on an empty sromach completely stopped the AFIBS.  Ager consuming a bottle of aloe vrea capsule I told my husband, a pediatrician,  and he began taking aloe vera also.  The capsules we were taking became difficult to obtain and we switched to Amazon's NOW brand.  Two in the morning and one before bedtime have completely stopped our AFIBS and that has been for at least a coupe of years.  Try it!  Can't hurt!

• Posted

If I'm not being to personal... Are both/either of you taking prescription drugs for Afib in addition to the aloe vera?  Thanks.

• Posted

I take George's Aloe liquid. Is that the same?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.