What tests should my GP run other than ESR CRP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone it's Mariane

I've been dealing with my rumi since diagnosis September 2015 and really not needed to see my GP except for 1 incident in mixup with meds.

My rumi will only test my ESR & CRP levels and not my vitamin levels etc.

I am seeing GP tomorrow and he is very amiable to running test so would like your help.

I also accidentally found out that i now have extremely high bood pressure in which i use to be very low

I'm talking 185-190 high, thus why going to my GP my rumi does not touch anything but prednisone in which i now only reduce by .5mg over 8 weeks I'm so sensitive and I'm at 17mg now. I can now say I'm with uou Eileen in the long term club😠

Any help with what to test is appreciated and has prednisone increased your BP.

MARIANE

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I normally just have ESR and CRP done regularly, monthly idpf a problem, every three months if not, then U & E and Full Blood Test done, the printout last time said these can be done every year if no problems. Also Glucose and vitamin D as I was deficient. When I was first diagnosed I had lots of other blood tests too including RA and thyroid. 
  • Posted

I forgot to say that beetroot is supposed to reduce blood pressure. People who take the supplements rave about it. I just drink beetroot juice and eat beetroot.
  • Posted

I have read where prednisone can make your bp high. You must do something to get that lowered.
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Ive gone the extremes from very lowBP to now as you say stroke. I'm into GP tomorrow and I'm sure i will be on yet another pill.

Just looking for what blood work, i was low in D and B6 but wondering about recommendation for others.

You guys are great thanks

Mariane

Off to my gransons confirmation.

• Posted

I have something called "white coat syndrome"   That means that when

you are in a medical setting nerves get the best of you.  I have

a blood pressure cuff at home and take my b/p usually every few

days and keep a log.  My Primary understand this and this condition

is very common. I take my log in for him to look at every appt and

so far it's not been a problem. I am on two b/p meds.  I hope your condition is that

simple and very solvable...I've gone up that high and higher and never had a stroke.    Maybe check into this possibility.....

• Posted

Hi fay

I use to take my BP daily with my late hisband because he was high. I put rhe cuff away and never thou7about it till now.

I have been charting and whe i go to my northern home on water and sit and do nothing i can bring it down but still way to high.

Many thanks your right

• Posted

When I first when on pred 15 mg my bp went to 150/100. I never had such a high number. I was treated for about a month but didn't tolerate hctz or lisinipril. In the meantime my bp came down with even slight reductions in pred. My internist and rheumatologist say the bp elevation is from pred. A short term bp treatment seems wise. I also record it daily and show it to my doctors.
  • Posted

Your high BP is most probably due to the prednisone.

Here's some standard blood tests you migh want your GP to do:

The Chemistry Panel and Complete Blood Count (CBC)

Fibrinogen

Hemoglobin A1C

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA),

Homocysteine

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)

Oral glucose-tolerance test (OGTT).

Total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and Triglycerides

Comprehensive meatbolic panel (CMP)

• Posted

Thanks for the panel, greatly appreciated. As I said my GP is great and willing to learn so this is just insurance that everything is being checked.

As I said, I'm now taking my BP regularly since I found out so he will keep me in check and you guys are awesome.

Many thanks

Mariane

• Posted

My BP was raised - but whether it was the pred or the atrial fibrillation the PMR probably caused is anyone's guess. It is the lower reading that is most important really - I do hope your lower BP reading isn't 185! It's managed very well on medication - probably too well at times! Your GP may feel a 24-hour BP monitor would be useful - which tends to circumvent the white coat syndrome by measuring every 1/2 hour during the day, hourly at night. It's not as bad as you'd think, I had one done a couple of months ago. It is important to know if your BP is falling overnight as it should and whether it is over-responding to exercise for example. I found why I had had some strange dizzy turns - I was having a hot flush and because I was vasodilating my BP dropped rather low. It just so happened that the device was measuring just then so we saw what happened!

They'll do a load of stuff because of the BP (I'd hope anyway) but on a regular basis, say every 3-6 months, you should have urea and electrolytes, calcium, Hba1C (monitors long term blood sugar levels), lipoproteins (cholesterol and other lipids), liver enzymes, full blood count (red cells, white cells, differential, haemoglobin) done.

If you have an obliging doctor, vit D is useful to know - but once it has been done it doesn't need to repeated every few months unless you were deficient and need supplements when you then need to know that it stays high enough. As ptolemy says - thyroid, and B12 and folate might be useful to have done as a one off. Your GP might have other ideas as to what would be a good idea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.