What time of night is best for sleep?.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been prescribed 10mg per night for nerve damage pain after I smashed my heel to pieces last year which has left me with the metalwork the surgeon put in to rebuild the back of the foot touching the nerves inside my foot and causing hellish pain.

My question is what time should I take it at night so it is working well when I go to bed at midnight?.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is advisable to take 3 - 4 hours before bed. I always take mine at 7pm & go to bed between 10 - 11pm. If i am working until 10pm however, then i will take between 7.30 - 8pm.

• Posted

If you need to sleep take the tbs at 30mins before bed. Are you taking Pain Medications ?

The dose of 10mg is a very low dose, you may have side effects that can be unpleasent. I take 75mg in the evening before bed and I do feel tired next day

BOB

• Posted

I think  u need to experiment because I find I feel sleepy within an hour of taking 10mg, perhaps it depends on your weight and height.
  • Posted

Thanks for all your replies folks

In answer to your questions, I have taken most strong painkillers since the accident.

Morphine, Fentanyl patches, tramadol, sick of feeling groggy and doped all the time though so asked the Dr to give me something different

That is why he's trying CMS type painkillers now starting with amitriptyline

I did think 10mg sounded a very small dose though.

I'm 6ft 3", but very skinny, 39 years old.

I took the tablet at 6pm but not feeling anything yet???.

• Posted

I took mine at 7.15pm tonight (UK time) & haven't felt anything yet & i still have to drive home from work. You might start feeling sleepy by 9.30 - 10pm.

• Posted

That's 3.5hrs now since I took it, the pain is dulled a bit which is good but if anything feel more talkative and awake

I hope they do also have a sleepy effect on me.

• Posted

Yes Desmond first night and time I've ever had it, I'd never heard of it before yesterday when Dr gave me it. Still not feeling tired but then again I'm used to opiates painkillers so not used to these

• Posted

My Dr said if amitriptyline rodent work he'll try gabapentin next.

• Posted

Hi Andrew

Give Amitriptyline a fair chance and adjust timings as you need to - everyone is different and what works for one may not for another. Be wary of going onto heavier meds like Gabapenten and Pregabalin - they have many side effects and are very hard to come off.

​I hope Amitriptyline works for you and wish you well.

• Posted

Rodent. = doesn't. Dam predictive text lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.