What to do about a growing kidney cyst?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a large simple cyst in my left kidney. I have read that these cysts are almost always benign, but the problem with mine is that it's growing.

My left kidney measures 11.9 cm. In 2008 the cyst measured 6.1 cm. In early 2014 it had grown to 8.2 x 7.4 cm, and now in Sept. 2016 it measures 8.1 x 8.0 x 8.4 cm.

I don't see how an 8 cm cyst sitting inside an 11.9 cm kidney can be harmless; surely it must be impeding the function of the kidney. How can the kidney properly perform its functions with such a large mass getting in the way? I do not feel any pain or discomfort in the area of the left kidney. Thank you for any feedback.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

have you had blood work done on your kidneys? do you suffer from utis
  • Posted

Hi,

Have you had 24 hour urine collection and blood work? If so what were the results what is your GFR (kidney function) do you have any protein or blood leakage? I am no doctor but I would agree with you as inside our kidneys are veins and arteries, along with filters etc and you would of thought they were being squashed at the very least like I said I am not a doctor and it will be the above mentioned that will show if the cyst is causing any issues.  Keep us posted smile

• Posted

I did have a few urinalyses done earlier this year and they came back normal. I will ask my general doctor about this and will most likely follow up with a nephrologist, as my general doctor will most likely tell me "not to worry about it" *sigh*

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.