What to do about fatty liver

Posted , 6 users are following.

What can I do about fatty liver now that i know i have it? I also have Type 2 diabetes.  I have already lost a stone in weight (gradually) but have quite a bit more to go.  What can i eat / not eat to help maybe reverse it?  all advice is greatly appreciated.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sugar and starches (sugar in disguise) is the culprit.  So that means any food with an -ose word in it, including fructose (fruit - keep intake low - perhaps in morning so that you can work it off during the day.  Strawberries are low in sugar.)  Avoid potatoes in all forms, root vegetables, bread (grains/pasta/rice = starches).  Stick to protein and green veges and cauliflower etc.  Have protein with each meal including snacks.  You can have as much as you like of these foods (but stick to a hand size serving of meat per meal).  Have a protein breakfast, like egg, turkey or cheese, avocado and some tomato.

As I found having a fried egg without toast rather blah, I now have a slice of burgen soy and linseed bread.  It is higher in protein and less carbs/sugars than other breads I found.  I can eat omelettes and scrambled eggs w/o bread though.  When I introduced plain greek yoghurt (protein) back into my b/fast, by which time my stomach had shrunk and my appetite decreased, I had to cut my egg meal in half and have that at lunch time!

Sugar/starch is addictive and makes you want more.  Protein fills you up and reduces hunger.  But there is no need to go hungry as you can have as much greens as you want.  If in doubt of how much starch/carbs is in a food/vegetable, google it.  If it is 9 or more, eliminate it.

Know the difference between carbohydrates and starchy carbohydrates.  The latter are the bad ones.

If you crave some pasta or rice, look for Slendier slim pasta/rice.  Zero carbs, no protein either, but lots of fibre, which we need to move that fat out of us.

You will rediscover your waist in no time!  You probably have a high ferritin level too - goes hand in hand with fatty liver.  If you have a ferritin blood test now and then, and your ferritin reduces, you know you are getting rid of your fatty liver.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, this is going to be tough!  but i must do it.  I have also recently bought a juicer and last night i had some kale, ginger and half a granny smith apple which was nice.  I think i will be OK giving up sugar but the pasta, rice will be a challenge.  I have heard of Dreamfields pasta which is supposed to be better for diabetics.  How long can it take to reduce fatty liver?  thanks about the ferritin test, i have heard of this.   When you say 9 or more, is that in grams?  and is it per 100gms?  thanks
    • Posted

Yes, it is grams and usually per 100gms, or a serving.  I am glad meblond mentioned corn - I had forgotten.  Corn, and corn syrup in packaged foods is a disaster.

I found it hard at first.  I was brought up eating potatoes or equivalent and bread with every meal.  So I was looking for a replacement for these starchy foods.  However, it is best to just ignore trying to find a replacement and fill up with the rest of allowed veges.  Protein reduces your need for them anyway.

Having said that, there are some amazing recipes using cauliflower that taste like a potato replacement, e.g. mash, baked, as a pizza base.  Recently saw slices of cauli being used for lasagne.  You will be so surprised.  It was never my favourite vege but now I have a whole new respect for it.  Google for recipes.

Instead of sandwiches for lunch, prepare a salad (not pasta, potato or lentils, beans - green ok) with some protein, like boiled egg, cheese, small can tuna etc.).  Takeaways are all about bread of some kind, it can be difficult to buy out.  Maybe a wrap, and toss the wrap.  If you must have bread, look for the seediest bread - not the grain bread.

I also started off eliminating all starches from dinner first, then moved to arvo tea, then lunch, then morning tea, then breakfast - finally giving up my much loved porridge.  A protein breakfast made a huge difference.

Half a granny smith in juice is good - don't give in to using lots of fruit = lots of sugar.  Add some almonds or other nuts (not peanuts) to your juice (smash them up first before adding the rest of the ingredients) for protein.

As Bollyarchive said, diabetes, fatty liver AND too much weight, all go hand in hand.  Removing sugar/starch which is the cause of all these problems (your body stops being able to metabolise the sugar) will help all problems (unless you have diabetes 1 which is a whole different story).  Eliminating sugar/starch can only help your diabetes not be a problem for it.  But the sugar companies, like the tobacco companies, pay a lot of money to squash this knowledge.

Be as strict as you can (don't let the stuff cross your door step), because there are always occasions when you do have to eat some to be polite - like when someone puts some homemade cake in front of you!  By the way, dark chocolate (70% or more cocoa is ok).  Also, I sometimes add some pure cocoa powder to my plain greek yoghurt).  No sugar in pure cocoa powder.

I have not heard of Dreamfields pasta so can't comment on it.  I know the slendier slim pasta is good.  One just rinses it and heat it up in very hot water and leave it sit in the water for a minute before serving.  However, I keep it in fridge (in the water) and mix some in with my veges (I steam up a big range of veges and heat up a serve each day), or meat sauce.

Of course, too much alcohol is also a cause of fatty liver as well as having haemochromatosis.

Low GI is not the same as low starchy carb.  Carbs are still carbs whether they are absorbed slowly or not, and if you are not into running a few miles a day, or going out to chop the wood for the fire each night, then they will store as fat.

Also consume good oils - e.g. xv olive oil, avocado, grape seed oil and coconut oil (contentious).  I cook with coconut oil, stick some in my yoghurt, and drizzle lemon infused xv olive oil on my veges.

• Posted

Thanks, your advice has helped a lot and I have started today to put the changes into practice.  I had a tomato and cucumber salad with some feta cheese (weighed at 40g), I had 2 small fresh figs in the PM and for my evening meal I had a homemade red Thai chicken curry with cauli rice, a handful of peas and some fresh spinach mixed in, no naan bread.  I then later had a couple of Brazil nuts with 9g walnuts.  Is this a good start do you think? 
    • Posted

Way to go Carina!  You have really got it.  Cauli rice and all.  Except I never weigh my food or worry about quantity when I know the food has low carbs.  A 200g tomatoe has 5 grams of carbs.  50 g of cucumber has 2 grams.  Feta = 0.  So you can pile up the plate if you want.  Add some green leaves for more fibre.

Figs are very high though = 28 gs.  Have them in the morning so that you work them off during the day.

Olives are a good low carb pre dinner snack too.

• Posted

With the diabetes the important thing is you stick to a diet that is recommended for diabetes. That takes priority over the fatty liver. Hopefully as you continue to lose weight your liver health will improve, but to be honest fatty liver and diabetes tend to go hand in hand. What has yiur diabetic team recommended now they know you also have steatosis.
    • Posted

I'm quite cross of the fact that my GP does not seem concerned about the fatty liver ( I am though) and has not referred me to a dietician or anything, don't doctors take fatty liver seriously? It is so common I believe.  I could have had this for years without knowing about it, only picked up incidentally during an ultrasound scan for what I thought was gallstones which turned out I hadn't got but liver cysts were picked up, 3 of them which they are now monitoring.  I think it's disgusting that the NHS only act when it seems to be too late ie we should all be scanned but of course that would be too expensive. 
  • Posted

Yes Carbs should be only come from low glycemic vegies.. no corn or root veggies,, no grains.. And the best detox for the liver is good ole water.. lots of it.. pasta and rice is loaded with carbs.. look at th box even brown rice and whole wheat still has a lot.. oatmeal is high  too.. even tho they say it is high in fibre it is not.. read lables.. keep your carbs low... 
    • Posted

carrots are not real bad,, but they are considered high in carbs.. I don't eat many carrots. I eat a lot of veggies.. but not a lot of carrots or corn or potaotes.. sweet or white. I get a bread that is sprouted.. it only has 4 carbs in it...unlike most breads that have 12 or more per slice.. 
    • Posted

Carrots have 10g carbs per 100 gs. Best avoid them for time being.  Growing underground they are high in sugar.  Now that I have my waist back, I break my rule of <9 and have 1/16th of a large beetroot for its wonderful qualities at dinnertime or with a lunch salad.

and="" have="" 1/16th="" of="" a="" large="" beetroot="" for="" its="" wonderful="" qualities="" at="" dinnertime="" or="" with="" a="" lunch="" salad.="">

>

• Posted

I have lost 40 pounds using a low carb diet and all my numbers are good. I also had my arties checked and they too are clear.. fatty liver gone. Fiber is really good to take in along with protien. Fiber is was explained too me like a "little pacman" the fiber eats up the bad carbs in the carbs foods.. I have to add. a diabetic diet is way to high in carbs. My sister went off the recomended diabetic diet and went on a low carb diet and lost 60 pounds and got off her diabetic meds.. just a thought..
    • Posted

Dietician's diabetic diets are probably good for a slim diabetic 1 - not good for a diabetic who needs to lose weight.  In fact, I do not know of anyone who has lost weight on a dietician's diet yet, except if all they ate was junk food previously, then any alternative is going to make a difference.

Moderation in everything does not work when your body is not metabolising sugars and starches properly.

• Posted

All I know is when my sister got off what the diabetic assc. suggeseted to eat as far as carb,, and she went lower. she lost weight and got off all meds.. 
    • Posted

I was disgusted when I was first diagnosed with diabetes of the poor advice I was given on what to eat, they seemed to think everything in moderation is ok but that's wrong if you're a diabetic, the medics seem too scared to say low carb is the way. 
    • Posted

My mission is to lose enough weight to be able to come off most of my meds, that would be such an achievement for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.