What to do next

Posted , 5 users are following.

After 7years post gastric band I can no longer cope with the being sick at nearly every meal being able to only live on crisps and chocolate I realise I need to do something I seems everything I eat gets stuck and back it comes can anyone tell me if vomitting is a problem with a sleeve, I just want to be able to eat a normal healthy meal or do I need to go for a by pass

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi - scary read.

I am 10 days into gastric band, and my fill so far has been 2ml of a possible 14ml.

Not sure how big your band is - but at what point did the vomitting start? How is weight loss progressing with only crisps and chocolate?

• Posted

My vomitting started the first time I eat solid food it got stuck and had to drink large amounts fizzy drink to be sick! My weight loss is nil I'm fat mal nourished  but I think I'm one off the unlucky ones I have friends who are doing ok I wish u good luck but for me it he band has to go 
  • Posted

It sounds as tho ur band may be too tight and ur over restricted. That can cause problems such as high calorific foods being easier to eat. Chocolate icecream etc r all easier to pass throu. I would have a little taken out to see if it helps
    • Posted

The sickness and sticking off food is so great that my band is deflated as much as it can be  I now have food "issues" due to the constant vomitting which puts a strain on any social part off my life 
    • Posted

How do u know ur band has deflated itself ? That sounds like sonething u need to get checked out with the hospital. Maybe ur band has moved !!
    • Posted

I had everything checked including a x Ray and it was then decided to have band deflated to the bare  minimum at the hospital  after this amount off time I have tried everything to put it right and it looks like more surgery is my only option
  • Posted

if you have nothing in your band and are unable to eat then you need to get it checked so refer back to your bariatric team asap as this is not right - it could be that your band has slipped or the area has become irritated through constant vomitting though if you had an xray i would have thought they would have found this out at that time - one thing which did cross  my mind however is that if you can eat chocolate then presumably you can eat things like yoghurt, soup, sloppy mince, cream  cheese, humous, cheesey mash, smoothies and these would be more nutritious that chocolate - i would say you need to address the types of food you are eating before even contemplating a diff type of wgt loss surgery as further surgery might not be the answer - good luck with whatever the future holds in this respect for you  
    • Posted

You are 100% right I do have issues with what I can eat I can be sick on mash or yogurt this stems from the first meal getting stuck after my band and having to drink loads odd Coke and taking some 5hours to get it out after having to telephone hospital for help . It's actually nine years this has been going on and originally when I paid my money I was told that I would in time and chewing well20/20/20 I could eat most things for me I think it's to late to come back from this phscologically and I know I have a lot off work and research to do , I think I will request another x Ray and poss some counselling ,but thanks for your comments it has pardon the pun given me food for thought 
  • Posted

Oh dear, I'm so sorry the band isn't working well. I don't know much about the band, so I technically won't be much help. But in reading tons of info and personal stories, I connect vomiting and food getting stuck, etc., more with the band than sleeve or bypass. I'm sure there are statistics floating around on WebMD or Mayo Clinic.

Personally, I have never vomited or had food get stuck. I've felt very uncomfortable the few times I overate. You only have to have it happen once or twice to learn how much you can eat.

I don't know much about the sleeve, but I honestly eat anything I want except raw carrots. I might try them again some day. I tend to choose food with lots of protein for lunch and dinner. I have grapes or apples in the afternoon. I'm never hungry. I don't eat anywhere near as much as I used to, but I eat everything on the menu.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.