What to eat 2 days before procedure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having the procedure in three weeks time.  Pl what fruits and vegs can I eat 2 days before procedure?  I am having it done in the afternoon and I am dreading it!!  I have in mind cheese, ham and eggs sandwiches for lunch and chicken and fish, is salmon ok for supper for vegs carrots and dessert a banana. For breakfast a yoghurt or white bread toast.  I understand mayonnaise is ok as I can have a tuna pasta with mayonnaise.  Any other suggestions on diet most welcome.  Somebody mentionned consomme during the fast, never been without food for that long. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I stuck to very plain foods, chicken, mashed potatoes, no veg or fruit, white fish, that kind of thing.  The hospital sent me a diet sheet which was very precise about what you should and shouldn't eat. 

I found the diet okay, a bit bland but it's only for a couple of days, and I can't say I was at all hungry. In fact it was quite good fun to devise a menu based on the diet sheet. The procedure itself was fine. There were a couple of uncomfortable moments but they passed in seconds and the staff were really kind and supportive. For me, the worst part of all was having to drink so much water, it felt like gallons of the stuff, but it did mean I wasn't hungry during the time when I wasn't allowed to eat!!!

Like most people, I was apprehensive but the prep and procedure itself were, if not exactly a barrel load fun, nothing to be aafraid of. 

Hope yours goes well. 

Jan

• Posted

You should receive a leaflet with your medication which explains what you can and cannot eat and when you must start to adopt the diet. I would follow that because it is designed for the laxative you are taking. It tells you all you need to know
  • Posted

You only have to be carful not to eat stuff with seeds or husks. Make sure that your doctor understands what you want BEFORE THE TEST. If you want to be out during the entire test then make sure that it is on the consent form that you sign or you may end up awake and in pain like me. I will never have another one done without going to the hospital to be put out completely. I have inflammitory bowel disease and a rectal fissure so I was in pain and my doctor refused me any pain medicine. Needless to say I was angry with my doctor and fired her shortly after. I now have a new doctor and we are going to discuss this at length before any more are done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.