What to expect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. Just found out I have shingles. Feeling a bit rough and having some pain. Just wondering if the pain is localised to where the rash is or can it be anywhere on the side of the rash. Just wanted some feedback so I can decide if the pains are from the shingles or something else. Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo. The pain follows the line of the nerve affected by shingles normally. You will feel quite poorly for sometime I think. I know I did. It's a viral illness and can take awhile to get out of your system. PHN (post herpetic neuralgia) usually follows on but in my own case it was at the same time as the rash and went on for some months. Still have it at times if I'm not well. Did your doc explain to you about shingles? Were you given anti virals and pain medication? You will probably need them as normal things like paracetamol or ibuprofen is not always strong enough because of the nerve pain. If you look at Shingles on this website, under 'Health Information' you find quite a lot of information which wll help you. I'm sure others will answer you post too. Best wishes, keep in touch on here. Pollyanna UK
  • Posted

Hi John B, Before my shingles start I get pain that runs down my leg and across my hips. It starts about a week to two Than I get the breakout and the pain hangs around for another two to three weeks. I feel terrible, it get symptoms like the flu on the on start of everything else. I take Acyclovir everyday to help with symptoms and demerol for pain. Having reoccurring shingles stinks it seems like I am always having a break out. Hope that is not your case. Prayers and best wishes that you can find some comfort. JMAC
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

I have had shingles about 16 times.. I always get it on the corner of my right eye and the rash is never bigger than the size of a half dollar coin. However, the pain from the shingles follows not only around my rash, but through the right side of my head, into my jaw, down my neck, and sometimes even onto my shoulder. The virus connects on to your nerves and that nerve may follow for up to 12 inches or more. So whichever nerve/nerves the virus is latched onto, the pain will follow that anywhere on your body; regardless of where your rash is. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this pain though. But most likely your pain is definitely from the shingles virus. I hope it all heals up quickly and well!

Take care, Morghan

• Posted

That's been my experience as well.  The most intense pain is in the area where the rash was, but it spreads out from there.  My skin is sensitive several inches from the original trouble spot.  
  • Posted

Hi Jo B, yes this is similar to what I experience as well. The pain extends several inches or more around the same side and is sometimes just sensitivity or tingling itch type of pain. I often have this even when there is no blisters to see. There is definitely a group of symptoms that I see being very prevelant as mentioned in several posts here on this forum. I had no idea of how to deal with this problem until I found all these people with the same problems. I have been able to reduce my outbreaks tremendously with the Lysine/ Ariginine aspect of my diet. I found that I was mainly eating all the wrong things and when I changed that it really helped. You can find the ratio contained in foods during an internet search, I now have a large paper on my frig with reminders of the goods and the bads and now I just kinda know what they are and treat it like anyone would an allergy. In fact I sometimes just say I'm allergic when eating with people or when visiting that I don't know well so that I don't need to go into a long discussion about it. It's a mind-set. My favorites were nuts, grapes, blueberries, chocolate... but now when I think of those foods I just think of how miserable an outbreak is. Works !

Good Luck !! 

• Posted

Hi JoB I have been reading all your replies as I too developed shingles on Xmas day round left back rib cage round to front rib  under left breast got antivirals very next day but did .title to hold off the terrible rash-pain stabbing .now nearly five weeks in and blisters gone but scaring and post pain (as people here explaining -i am so glad I found this site as I now know that my pain is the same as others have explained and now hubby knows I am not being marry.But can u tell me what is lysine and what form it comes in.would it prevent  recurrances as I'm not sure how long I'm going to be in pain with post shingles pain .but am anxious about getting it again as I can see lots of  us on here have had repeated attacks.would the doctors advise it as a prevention and prescribe it or would I have to get it  as self help trialling. My skin area on back seems to be free from pain just now .but my left front area is so painful that every step seems to create stabbing sensativty any suggestions other than the strong meds that have been mentioned (which I so far don't want to take as I need to be able to function to look after my family and I read that they take some pain away but make you feel rotten with side effects WHAT GOOD IS THAT.is there any pain reliving cream  or gel anyone knows of .thankful for any replies jbf.
  • Posted

Hi again Jo B. Lysine can be bought as a food supplement from health food stores or online. I got some through Amazon, quite a bit cheaper. I don't think Docs will prescribe them as they are supplement not a medicine. If you google Lysine and Arginine foods you should find some relevant info. You need L Lysine not Argenine foods to help prevent further attacks. I'm not an expert just another sufferer!  As for pain relieving gels and creams, try asking the pharmacist or see your GP. I think if you can get something containg Lidocaine it will help. The tiredness will improve slowly! It's not going away overnight. If you take pain meds at night it should help you sleep better though. Sorry I can't be more help but it's a B of an illness unfortunately and can't be rushed! You still need to rest as much as possible, listen to your body, don't overdo housework etc, let your partner and kids if they're old enough, help out. See your GP again if you can't cope. Maybe a home help is an option? Take care and best wishes, Pollyanna.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.