What to expect

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, a bit scared about being given apixoban, found a DVT behind knee and upper thigh.  Concerns are that after taking, now on day 2 have a headache and feel like I am getting the flu, a bit dizzy and achy, was on heparin injections for 2 days so blood thinners in one form or another now for 4 days.  Feel a bit unwell and wondered whether this was a side effect, and if so, how long will it take before it goes.  I have to be on them for 3 months and have to come off HRT which they think was the cause.  Also noticed gums a bit pale, athough have high iron, may not even be linked.  One other question please is anyone taking this with esomeprazole and if so have you upped your dose to cover yourself in case of stomach bleeding.  Did ask GP all these things but they just say do not worry bleeding is very rare. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Youngatheart,

Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.

My history of DVT's and PE's has resulted in lifelong anticoagulation.

I have been taking Apixaban for just over twelve months now and have not experienced any side effects at all.

However, my experience of anticoagulant therapy leads me to believe that people do interact significantly different with the drugs.

It would appear that the majority of reported side effects apply to Warfarin!

Let us not forget how powerful Apixaban (and the other NOAC's are)!

Apixaban has a proven reduced risk of bleed that Warfarin and also over Rivaroxaban.

I wish you a speedy recovery and the best of luck with your treatment!

• Posted

Hi Nigel, thanks for your reply. Headaches are easing now probably just my body settling down from all the anti biotics and things. I will only be taking them for 3 months I think, but now I have had one I expect I am more likely to have another at some point.  Take care
    • Posted

Hi, about to take first apixaban as opposed to warfarin.  I have a cold today so that will colour my judgement. Hoping it goes as well for me as you.
  • Posted

Hi - hope you settle down with apixaban as its the best treatment option. Unfortunately I tried it and couldn't get on with it at all but we are all different- give it a few days yet. There are other NOACS to try though if you continue to have problems, dabigatran, rivaroxaban and i think its called edoxaban.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Gilldy, as mentioned to Nigel the headaches eare easing now and also feel better now the pain has reduced so getting there. Thanks
    • Posted

I have had to use warfarin for three years after dvt and pe.  Now want to change to apixaban, looking for anyones experience of doing this and what to expect in early days.
    • Posted

Hi, I am new to thinners, but have only tried apixiban and now on month 4, no problems apart from initial headache but as you have been some sort of thinner for years probably will not get this.  I was advised to take apixiban rather than warfarin as I have tiny veins and they always have trouble getting blood, so not having the blood tests was the best option.  They did say that there was no antidote but it causes less bleeding in the first place so to me a winner.  I am on it for about a year, but to be honest feel safer taking it so not worried.    
    • Posted

Only days in and i have headache,insomnia, loss of voice and general lethargy.  Dont know how long i can put up with this,  was hoping for no side effects.
    • Posted

I am not getting on very well with the apixaban so far, i know you also had problems, can yountell me what they were and how you ended up. I find the insomnia the worst part, but also feel fluey.
    • Posted

Am getting on with taking apixaban but feeling very lethargic and wondering if its the settling in time.  Am i needing more patience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.