What to expect after a hysterectomy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am having a hysterectomy on the 27th of January,due to fibroids and a prolapsed womb,it will be done through keyhole surgery,they are taking away the uterus and tubes leaving the ovaries,just looking for advice on what to expect afterwards and on recovery,thanks!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ash.. I had mine in September and also keyhole but I had it all removed and I feel great.. You will be a little sore but not to bad.. just don't over do it. I stayed in hospital for 5 days and I was up walking the day after a little crampy but not bad.. When you go home relax have someone help you don't lift don't do much of anything and you will do fine.. Good luck and let me know how your doing please.

• Posted

Thank you Tish,it is a bit daunting when you don't know what to expect,so it is good to hear from someone that has been through it,glad all went well for you.

• Posted

Your welcome.. So true I was scared and had a few friends tell me a little bit about it and of course everyone is a little unsure when you don't know what to expect.. But you will be OK. . Take care!

• Posted

Hi ash I had vaginal hysterectomy 6 months ago for prolapsed womb. I had two night stay in hospital but that was because I was quite dizzy on standing but otherwise It was one night stay and go home next day If you can do 3 wee's, you will have catheter in after op mine was taken out morning after op. You will be in some discomfort but hosp will give you pain relief of course. Make sure you have help at home no lifting, cleaning, lifting heavy washing etc for about 6 weeks if you can or driving, got to be careful when you can drive (if you do) regarding Insurance also. Hospital should advise. Your body let's you know if you do too much anyway, you need to rest but take short walk each day for circulation. Will be thinking of you good luck x

• Posted

Hi Ash, I had the same surgery 5 days ago. I'm 51, not in bad shape. The surgery was about 5 hours. The first hours after surgery weren't bad. I had a patient controlled pain relief button (morphine). I didn't use it very often. I spent one night in the hospital. The most important thing is to get ahead of the pain and not to overdo anything. Getting up from a sitting position or laying down without pain was a challenge. I take ibuprofen three times a day and Norco as needed. Also a stool softener and heartburn medicine. The Norco is not very powerful, I've had stronger stuff after dental work. Some advice: get extra pillows, a water bottle (hot for me) really helped, a cane might help and one of those grabber/reacher things. My feet and lower legs swelled a little yesterday so I slept with them slightly elevated with a pillow and moved around more today. I'm thinking of sleeping slightly upright tonight. Raising up after laying on my back hurts. It's all getting better day by day, but today I had more pain because I tried to overdo it yesterday. Take it slow and definitely walk. 

• Posted

I had a partial abdominal hysterectomy myself, and though yes, it was so very painful healing and recovering from that, my goodness, life has changed!

I had constant problems with pain and discomfort before the operation. I lived on painkillers. These days I hardly ever need painkillers for anything-I still can't believe it!

I wish I could have had keyhole surgery! I imagine the swelling problem during recovery is much less of a nuisance as it's less intrusive surgery.

I am so glad I finally had the operation.

I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi ash!

I had a DaVinci robot assisted complete abdominal hysterectomy 10 days ago, Jan 19th for a cancerous fibroid in my uterus. Ovaries and tubes were removed,too.

I was in overnight with a catheter. Catheter was removed in the morning and I was able to go home that afternoon. I had high doses of ibuprofen injected into my ports but refused morphine.

I was very sore for at least 5 days but each day it gets better. Now the incision sites are getting itchy.

I am allowed to lift up to 20 pounds but I won't. I don't want to chance ripping a stitch.

All in all the recovery process is going smoothly. I have my follow up this coming week. I'm hoping the Doc lets me drive.

I wish you a smooth surgery and speedy recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.