what to expect after pathology results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had a radical Prostatectomy 2 weeks ago and the pathology report increased by GS from an 8 to a 9, Lymph nodes are clear. I elected to wait 2 months to see how my PSA test comes out.

Really freaking out about probability of survival, I have read some studies from 2008 that suggest I have a 47% chance of making it past 15 years. Can anyone with similar results chime in and offer any hope?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Well I guess you are in the same boat as the rest of us. Your gonna die. The when is up to God and our wives. The  when ... In my case, I was given a 90% chance of living past 15 or 20  years. Given I'm 59, that is a pretty good assumption for anyone these days based on length of life stats in the free world. The score if I remember right is what the nut holds. If the Cancer is all in and has not ventured beyond the gland then I bet you are in great shape. Mine had cells on the outside but local area showed to be free. Now my PSA has risen some ( 0.4)  post op,  7 months ago. We are watching it and my path specimen was sent off to be tested last week to see how fast it grew. It is a another tool to look at before thoughts of rad treatment, again in my case. Will the cancer kill me ? I doubt it. I'm an average aged fat white male who drinks, doesn't work out excessive enough, works lots of 12 hour night shifts, likes meat and all the other things I'm not supposed to. 

Don

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Don, fellow Canadian I assume. I too am overweight, close to your age, eat and drink what I want, I have Leukemia as well which gave me an expected 28 more years, I will take your results over mine any day. So what do the irradiate once the prostate is gone? the edges of the hole where it used to live?
    • Posted

Actually from the South USA. What we have in common goes much deeper than the color of some flag tho... I'm not sure what all gets radiated. I think they will just do some shot gun effect at the area where the prostate was. The theory is that there could be residual prostate cells missed and such. This will be down the road tho. I'm not really gun ho about it. Due to issues that may come from the treatment. While I'm sure there is a wonderful increase of life expectancy due to the surgery, it has been life changing enough for me. I have the continence thing pretty well under control. I might dribble a bit when I laugh or cough. Like others,  I have to make sure I use the bathroom regularly while consuming the fermented. 

The sex thing is still in the worx. I had the nerve sparing surgery. Still it takes a self administered shot or a mechanical pump to gain any type of errection. The pills have zero effect. That bites. Also, I have little to no labitto these days. It could be due to lack of male hormones and such. The issue is that the prostate cancer feeds on the same in a big way. So .. f*ck it ;-)

I'll give it a go for the wife with whatever it takes as a rememberance when I was ....

So if the cancer lab tests come back as very slow growing type and my PSA stays in the low margins areas I'll probably vote for the wait and see it out. Of course, my wife has two votes to my one. She lost her dad in the early 80's due to the disease. It was caught late. I would not like to be a part of her having to see that again. She is a nurse but still, you know , love ones need a break too. Sorry to read about the double whammy dealing with leukemia. Life is more of a real fight for some. You have a two front war going on. Prayer works mon ami and I'll throw one your way 4 sure. 

Keep the faith and all that,

Don

• Posted

Hoser comes from last name of McHose. I was given that nickname a life time ago from fellow workers. It stuck nation wide in my industry as a nuclear road tech ( radiation protection ). It could have been a lot worse ! 
  • Posted

I had Robot-assisted Prostatectomy on 10 March. Gleason 9 PCa caught very early thanks to a 3T MRI, followed by guided Biopsy. Likewise lymph nodes were clear, as were body scans before the procedure. In on a Thursday, walking and showering in hospital on the Friday, and home noon Saturday.

Two PSA tests at three and six months were unable to detect a reading. All good. No incontinence unless I drink lots of red wine and don't go to the loo a few times. Sexual function still missing, but some stirrings experienced.

I am simply living life, and not worrying how long that lasts. The worry might shorten one's life more so than the removed PCa.

• Posted

I meant to add that I turn 70 in one week's time. I am a slim 74.5kg. I retired at 69 years of age. My only exercise is walking a lot - with and without my dogs.

I didn't think about retirement, other than to my financial planning to see us through, until the last moment. As long as I don't ever have Alzheimers I am not going to think about passing on. Life is what happens while you are planning LOL. 

• Posted

I am 56, I am hoping that my next PCA is undetectctable, the wait will be tense. To get to 70 years old would be just fine, my mother is 85 and I dont think she enjoys being that old one bit.   less money needed for retirement as well. I am so ready to quit my job mentally but not financially. I always planned of dying of a heart attack, quick and over with quickly, to bad these 2 cancers had to mess that plan up.
    • Posted

I am 57 years years old, had my Radical Prostatectomy back in Febuary. Make sure you get on a good therapy program. I think gaining back yyuou consistancey will be slower then you want I was about 3 months. How many nerves where they able to save? Keep doing those Kegels
  • Posted

Good to hear that the lymph nodes are clear. I assume the margins were also clear.

Not surprised that the Gleason scores of the biopsy and the operation differ slightly. That is common.

Waiting two months for the next PSA is reasonable. I am waiting 6 weeks due to work committments.

As to survival rates, the studies are not all clear. You need to understand that many folk die 10 or 15 years after surgery from issues OTHER than PCa.

Death is also a function of  your age at surgery, how many lymph nodes were clear and what other medical issues you have going on.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PCa at age 75. Gleason score 4+3=7 My Urologist sent my biopsy remains to Prolaris (genetic testing). Score on the biopsy was in the non agressive range. So, I chose active Surivilance. Also game me a 10 year mortality rate. Only 3% chance of dieing in 10 years. At my age, that is good numbers. So, I think this route is better than invasive treatment.
  • Posted

Hi, the margins were positive, that's what is freaking me out right now.

• Posted

Like me, my father had his prostate removed in his mid 50's, it eventually took his life 10 years later, but that was back in the  80's. I am hoping that the advances since then have come along farhter so as to buy be a bit more time then he had.

Anyone out there with no Lymph node involvement and positive margins ? I would like to hear your story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.