What treatment were you given for Dry eye?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Started getting symptoms about a month ago,blurriness is my main complaint. Opthamologist said upper eyelids looked like blocked oil glands. Anyway I am supposed to do 3-1000 mg fish oil a day,3 warm compresses a day plus refresh optive eyedrops 3 to 4 times a day. I have one of those eye masks you can heat,used it first time today,more cloudy and blurry. What do you think of the heat compress,does it work? What is your treatment regiment? This is driveing me nuts,thanks. I recently started takeing an extra 0.5 xanex a day per doctor,maybe that caused the imbalance. I take it daily.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Gosh, all that fiddling with ine's eye .... Drops of any type is a big no-no for my eyes. But one could give warm compresses a go, I suppose? I'll give anything a try once 😉
  • Posted

Hi Lee, well if its only goin on a month (and please dont get me wrong, Im not minimising your pain here for one minute) Id be optimistic yours might resolve..Mine dates back to the beginning of the year. A whole trail of events...I got hair dye in my eyes and didnt deal with it properly at the time...for three or four days following that my eyes were fine, no inflammation, no pain, looked normal so I presumed no damage done. Following week they became really dry and sore, went to optometrist who confirmed, "your eyes are just very dry, hylo red for a couple of weeks should sort it". Low and behold by the end of the month all was well , not a bother , was back wearing eye make up etc...the mid feb I got a gush of water from the shower in my left tear duct and hey presto, everything went downhill from then..Have been attending a very reputable Ophtamologist and basically his diagnosis is "chronic dry eye, due to my age and Im a female, very common in middle aged women", my GP says hormones goin haywire at a certain age can triggar all sorts of issues ...Its been a bit of a rollercoaster to be honest, have had the odd good day where I was convinced Im getn better. Last week I was doin well, I could see myself the tear film was stronger and lasting longer, was down to drops only 3 or 4 times a day, then I went for an MRI last thursday and hey presto, worse than ever since then. Im using a combination of Hylo drops and FML for the inflammation, I do the warm eyebag every evening and yes get a little relief from that. Ive also been told glands are blocked. Ive never experienced anything like this in my entire life and despite being told theres no cure Im literally prayn every day for a miracle. As for the anxiety, I couldnt begin to describe it so believe you me I sympathise and genuinely understand. I have found chattn to people on this forum helpful, cos at times you really think whats this all about.

Dont loose hope if its only a month, seriously, it may very well improve or become very minimal to the point where its ok to live with....

• Posted

I remember years ago when I was on the Pill that my eyes were less sore in the week before my period. Then I could wear contact lenses and makeup. Rest of the time - no way
    • Posted

Thanks so much,im really a wreck,i had no idea that dry eye,if thats truely what mine is could be so hard. Anxiety is through the roof. I wish you well and hope you get better. Xx
  • Posted

what's the diagnosis? is this blepharitis?
    • Posted

Something about the upper lid secretions looked thick,the word wasnt used,im not sure. Its very frustrating plus im sure my vitreous is lousey as ive had two vitreous detachments,im 59. Floaters the whole bit.
    • Posted

Check it up online, It does sound like blepharitis, though may be other things too.

Blepharatis has a clear healing protocol that works. It involves hot compresses, cotton buds and baby shampoo. So look it up and if it seems to fit your symptoms, follow it to a tee.

I cleared mine in 10 days. It works!

• Posted

Thanks,will do,plus im drinking alot of water.
    • Posted

Well here i am again,yesterday my vision seemed quite clear,i thought,wow,did the compresses etc. Today,was pretty clear then took a hot shower washed my face and did warm compresses for about 5 minutes,now my eyes feel greasy and blur on and off. Maybe it was too much with the shower followed by compresses? I was trying to get rid of blurry hazy vision. Should I keep doing the compresses. I dont want to make it worse.
    • Posted

I did not suggest the compresses alone, specifically. (That was Tripadvisor)

Look up blepharitis. If your symptoms fit with that, follow the steps for self healing outlined online.

Probably patientUK itself has such a page.

• Posted

Hi,no my doctor told me to do the compresses. Later i did warm again but only for a short time. Then it helped some. The eyedrops she told me to try did nothing but irritate my eye (over the counter) so i will have to experiment with that. Tonight my upper right eyelid itchs. Have you ever used cool compresses for the irritation?
    • Posted

Cool compresses do often relieve irritations of all kinds but for a short time only.

I used one the other day because a mosquito bit my eyelid!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.