What type of anaesthetic?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am booked in for my first hip replacement surgery next Wednesday. I was really surprised to hear that my surgeon does this under spinal anaesthetic, Ive been told I will be awake but oblivious to my surroundings. Just wondered if anyone else had surgery this way and can reassure me. I am 45yrs old with osteoarthritis, I require both hips to be replaced but surgeon only does one at a time with at least 6 months in between for recovery. Any advice or reassurance will be gratefully received! Lynn smile

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

I had mine done like this, honestly you arent really aware, everyone was saying oh no go under general anaesthetic but i really didnt want to.. i took my ipod into theatre with me and listened to Coldplay ๐Ÿ™„ you can hear things going on but its all very surreal and you dont feel a thing and i even went to sleep for a bit I. hope it goes well for you .xxxx

• Posted

Thanks for that Helen, good to hear from someone who has been through it already. And good idea about the music, coldplay are my favourite band!!
    • Posted

There you go then Lynn, get some music on the go! Honestly you'll be fine, i was glad i done it that way rather than being groggy for hrs later xx
  • Posted

I am having mine done today Lynn and it is a spinal too!!! Yikes, I can let you know how it goes!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.