What type of approach did you have done?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Was wondering what type of approach you and your sergon chose to have done? And how long after the surgery did it take for you guys to get up and start walking?

Thanks!

Danielle

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Approach-anterior, walking the ward next morning with wheeled walker, stairs the following day, home the next day with wheeled walker and cane. 
  • Posted

Two surgeries, 8 wks apart.

Both Posterior approach.

Both up and walking 2 hrs after recovery.

Both home the next day.

• Posted

Anterior approach was chosen, which tends to have less limitations afterwards. Also my understanding is that sometimes they choose depending on your size. Posterior tends to be for patients that are heavier. This is what my doctor told me anyway. I was up walking to bathroom with walker the same day.

Best wishes to you!!!

Jen

• Posted

Anterior....Definately. Less invasive, faster recovery. I was hiking around Positano Amalfi Coast at 5 weeks. Skiing at 4 months. (In powder not bumps) I still have some minor discomfort at 5 months. My coach (a retired Orthopedic surgeon) gave me the best advice. Stay put for a good three weeks to let the device bond. I'm 69. You should have no trouble.
  • Posted

I had anterior lateral approach, have 6 inch scar on the side of my thigh.

I was standing up using a walker and moved to chair on first day. Wasn't really able to walk with walker until about day 3, and then slowly and painfully. By the 4th day, I could manage a bit better, went home from hospital, managed to get from car in driveway, up a few stairs into house and bedroom. Was walking around with the walker fairly easily within another week or so.

I am 7 months post-op and recovery has been slow, and still have a limp and thigh pain. X-rays look good, am having a number of other types of scans to determine what the problem is. Could be problem with the implants (unlikely) or some kind of muscle/tendon tear or strain, caused by who-knows-what.

Doubt if the problems have to do with the surgical approach, but I will know soon. Many others with this same approach do just fine and have quick and easy recoveries.

• Posted

Posterier approach

Up day 2 with walker

Day 3 with sticks

Got home day 4 as had done stairs

After l got home l could walk without sticks l just practiced walking about the house.

Everyones diffrent maybe my age helped me recover quicker

X

• Posted

Hi Danielle:

I am pre op and saw my Consultant for the first time on Monday, February 1.  His approach will be lateral with no restrictions or TEDs.  He uses medication for anti coagulation. Discharged after four days with walking sticks, so no crtuches.  

It looks as though the lateral approach is a much less widely used incision.  Maybe the surgeon's preferred method, or may be weight and bone structure, etc., of the patient.  I am 5' 5" and could stand to lose a little weight as the OA has curbed all exercise including walking.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Danielle

both my ops are right down the outside of my thighs  No idea what that approach is called. Both scars are 12 " long. 

On on both occasions I was allowed to get out of bed only a couple of hours after surgery and take my first steps. 

• Posted

Hi Hailea:

I believe that this is the lateral approach.  My consultant said that the scar would be about 6" long.

• Posted

Hi Susie,

again, each consultant has a different style. Mine are going to be both about 9 inches and also lateral. The first one has a hooked top which is my sugeons signature apparently, second one approaching on Friday.

Hailea has had a rough ride, so no wonder she has long scars.

I would just say that whatever length your scar, whether it had stiches, staples or glue, our results all seem to be amazing.

• Posted

Both mine are lateral scars to side of hip. Approx 8" long. Very tidy hairline scars. Had spinal block so not out of bed til next day & walked out of room & across corridor on 1st attempt. 2nd day walked approx 100m three times that day. Physio had my doing stairs on 2nd day after op & home 4th day. I'm just a week today post op after 2nd hip replacement in 4 months & doing very well on 2 crutches. Given physio exercises to do 3 times a day & walk 100m as often as I'm able. Weathers not good here (Ireland) so walking around house from room to room.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.