What us a cystoscopy I need one before my PC surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

What is a cystoscopy I need it for my PC surgery and what is it for

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Cystoscopy is diagnostic procedure which is performed to inspect your urethra and bladder using flexible cystoscope that is equipped with camera. Cystoscope is connected to screen where you can see your inside. Procedure is not painful and you will feel pressure and urge to urinate while cystoscope is being advanced to your urethra.

Before procedure, you will disrobe and nurse will inject lidocaine gel into your urethra (opening at the tip of your penis) to numb it. You will wait about 10 min before urologist starts procedure. During procedure urologist might instill sterile water to expand your bladder to get better view. Whole procedure takes about 2 to 5 minutes. If anything looks suspicious in your bladder, urologist can take sample which will be sent to pathologist.

You might find lots of postings about bad experience with cystoscopy but I can tell you from my own experience that is not bad at all. I had a cystoscopy 3 times with my last one in March of this year.

Procedure is straight forward with no pain, just slight discomfort.

You might feel burning for few hours while urinating. Just drink plenty of fluids and that will minimize discomfort.

Good luck!

MK

• Posted

My husband had to have a cystoscopy too. They found prostate cancer in his lower bladder. This finding is not at all common. Is it possible they suspect the same for you? 
    • Posted

They say that it was a regular routine procedure before my prostate surgery I guess they're looking at the bladder and the you uthea just to check or they could be looking at the prostate I really don't know haven't talked to the dr. Yet but it's the procedure I supposed to take a week before the prostate surgery any help thank you

• Posted

I've only met 2 people who had cystoscopy before prostate surgery and its because they suspect bladder issues. If they find cancer in the bladder, I'd be happy to share what I know about it with you. 

• Posted

You should be able to watch the screen to see what they do. Healthy bladder tissue is pink and flat (no bumps) and that's what we saw for the most part but then at the end, the scope looked down toward the neck of the bladder and there was tissue that was definitely irregular. The question is whether this cancerous tissue was pushed up from the bladder neck or actually growing in the bladder. Not sure yet. 

• Posted

Thank for everything one more question was your husband sleep when they did the procedure
    • Posted

...and your urologist told you it wasn't a calcification (aka stone) at the base of the bladder?

• Posted

no, they said it was prostate cancer in the lower bladder. The question is whether its growing there or just pushed up by the prostate. 
    • Posted

That's not such a good result. I hope he has had body scans for reasons I am sure you understand.

• Posted

Yes, he's had mpMRI, CT and bone scan and all show no mets or LNI. There was no sign of SVI or ECE. GS 4+5, PSA 28. 

• Posted

When my HD was (4+4) 8 I had a Robot-Assisted Prostatectomy. The post-op path GS was 9. Nine months later, three PSA results cannot be measured. No incontinence, but only some likelihood of sexual function without artificial aids so far LOL. Intimacy is far more important.

I'd make the same decision in a heartbeat given some of my life experiences since then, and future plans.

• Posted

That's great news. It's a nasty disease. I hope it is now behind you. I've read every article published on high risk PCa and I know we will always be on edge. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.