Whats my best option- H.M surgery or Ballon dialtion?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, so after about a year of dealing with the symptoms(unable to swallow, rapid weight loss, dehydration, kidney levels out of wack, food coming back up etc) and being wrongly diagnosed with acid reflux by doctors. I finally was rushed to GEORGETOWN hospital in DC after passing out at work from dehydration. There I got diagnosed after a endoscopy and barium swallow test was done. I was informed that due to my age(33) and bodybuild (athletic) the best option is a H.M surgery. This was very sad news to me. I workout and play BASKETBALL everyday! The idea of cutting into my abdomen and being down for 8 weeks is scary. I later found out a old friend has Achlasia as well and he did the Ballon dialtions. He said after each visit he could eat within hours of leaving the doc office. first two times it was every 6mnths, then he didn't need one till a year later, then another year later, now it's been several years since he's been back for a dialtion and he's eating drinking fine (we used to hoop together in highschool on thru to our early 20s he was the same size and build as me to a T. He doesn't play anymore and now.... well let's just say by looking at his body it's clear he has had NO PROBLEMS keeping food down lol). I don't want to get evasive surgery if I don't absolutely need to and cutting into my muscle wall would leave open to hernias I believe, especially given how much I workout. But I do want something done I can't continue to live not being able to eat or even drink water at times without it coming back up. I am struggling with the decision should I get the dialtion or H.M?? My time is winding down till the date the docs set my H.M for what should I do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI, I am on the waiting list for a heller myotomy with fundoplication as well. I had my own concerns too, but I rang the doctor and asked loads of questions first. If you are worried about hernias, ask your surgion about it, it might not be a problem at all. It's keyhole surgery, so it should heal just fine. There is a woman who body builds and does competitions who had the hellers with no problem. If you would prefer to try balloon dilation there is nothing stopping you. But expressing your concerns to your doctor may put you at ease.

• Posted

bodybuilder huh, thats good to know. it was one if my main fears. i recently let my doctor know i am going to do the dilation... i hope i made the righ decision. push come to shove if it doesnt work i can still get the heller myotomy right?
  • Posted

I had my hellers myotomy and fundoplication 4 years ago

and have no problems.

yes I still have to drink loads of water to make things go down

and have to avoid certain food but things are so much better.

My surgeon told me that dilations are no longer performed

unless you are elderly or can't have surgery.

He has told me that each dilation can damage the lining of

the oesophagus and eventually cause a rupture so is regarded

as too risky.

I had it done twice many years ago and neither lasted very long

and I was lucky as he said if I had had it done too many times

the oesophagus would be too damaged for surgery.

You really need to think it through thoroughly if you go for the

dilation as surgery may not be an option later.

• Posted

Wow, that's scary ...... this is a tuff decision smh

• Posted

Im mainly worked about not being able to do the workouts and sports at the same level post surgery
  • Posted

Hi, my husband's story is very similar to ducky1, he had 2 balloon dilations that didn't last very long, then finally had the H.M & F a couple of years ago, it was life changing for him, he has now put on most of the weight he lost and lives a relatively normal life, just needs lots of water with meals and still needs to steer clear of some stodgy foods. I'm sure he was fully fit about a month after the operation. It was the best thing he did, for info; he's in his 40's.

• Posted

thats good to know, is he able to do sit ups and things like that? i think i will bypass the dilation and do the surgery after hearing you guys story. i value the opinion of people who actually lived through the experience over anyone else.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed 3 years ago and asked if there was any reason to do surgery then instead of later.  I was told there is no reason I couldn't wait as people much older than me have had the surgery.  Unfortunately, they didn't point out the fact my esophagus could get stretched which would reduce effectiveness of treatment.  Now I've had the surgery, but was told I'll have issues with food pooling in my esophagus.  I'm not sure the extent of the problems, but wish I had the procedure performed sooner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.