Wheelchair....will I end up needing it full time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've gone and got myself a wheelchair 😔 I just can't walk very far without the pain really kicking in so it was either a case of being stuck in or getting one.

I've not been diagnosed but so sure I have MS....possibly even PPMS.

My questions is....if I'm already needing a wheelchair....is there a higher chance that I'll end up in it full time?

I'm struggling more and more with getting around and started using crutches almost daily. Along with all the other symptoms getting worse!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello my name is Vicky.

I don't have MS but my mum does. She was diagnosed back in 1991.

Sadly my mum is wheelchair bound now.

I think you've done a very brave thing by taking the desicion to use a wheelchair. If it means your not stuck indoors and able to get out and about that's great.

You asked whether you will end up in a wheelchair full time. It's very easy for me to say but try to stay active as much as you can and don't rely on the wheel chair all the time. The reason I say this is because there's a saying that my mum uses ' use it or lose it'. Basically if you rely on the wheel chair too much your body will get used to not using the muscles and there is a good chance that you will decline quicker.

It's so easy for me to say as I know that your in pain as my mum is and it's just not fair. In fact the illness is just cruel ( please don't think I'm judging or patronising) .

I think it's great that your using crutches too as that still uses your muscles.

Do you take anything for the pain? If not see your GP. Maybe he/she can refer you to get a proper disgnosis and therefore offer the appropriate treatment.

My mum has tried all sorts over the yrs. vitamins/ hyperbaric oxygen tanks/ physiotherapy. She goes to the MS therapy centre where they offer all sorts of help and advice.

I hope I may of been some help for you.

I'm here if ever you want to talk.

Wishing you all the very best. Try to stay positive and strong.

Love Vicky xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The wheelchair will only be for family days out. 90% of the time my husband is at work so I have a buggy to push about, but I do what you mean about keeping muscles strong smile

I'm on tramadol for the pain and waiting for MRI and appointment with pain management

• Posted

That's great.

I really hope they hurry up with your appointments so you can get some answers and support.

Best wishes

Xx

• Posted

So I do! Lol. My foggy brain, confusion and memory loss is getting scary! As is the lack of mobility
  • Posted

Hi Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. You sound like a very brave person and I commend you for that.

I too am having some issues with leg twitching, leg pain, etc. This has been going on for about 11 months for me. I am being worked up for MS as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been dealing with your symptoms? When you say pain, could you elaborate on the exact location and type of pain.

For me it starts with a deep cold pain in my calves especially if my legs are exposed to the cold or even semi cold environment. I then sometimes get a deep burning pain in my inner thighs. This all seems to correlate with how much activity I have done throughout the day. I don't seem to have any problems with fatigue or balance issues. I could probably run 10 miles perfectly fine, but an hour or two after such activity is when I have my problems.

As you can relate, when a healthy person suddenly has problems with their legs it can be very scary. Please hang in there.

• Posted

Oh gosh it's so hard to explain! It's like a deep deep down dull ache/pain, along with sharp shooting pains that I know aren't sciatica. In my hips and outer right leg, both thighs, some towns ankles and wrists, occasionally left elbow
    • Posted

I can relate to the deep down dull ache pain. It can create great anxiety. I am praying constantly after I have been on my feet for some time that the pain will not present itself. How long have you been dealing with these symptoms?
    • Posted

I sometimes over do things, like on days where the house is really doing my head in so I go on a cleaning mission, and I'll then regret it, but I think I need to so I am reminded off the damage I will do. Does that make sense? It's like if I'm 'ok' for a day or two I start to think it's all in my head. I started having problems 8 years ago with the odd pain here and there, te past year it's been getting worse and since January it's been awful. I even quit my job sad
    • Posted

8 years with few answers. I can only imagine what you have gone through. You must be very strong, sounds like you have family around to help you. That's very important.

I am quickly finding out exactly what you mean. I am constantly pushing myself to see what happens to my body physically. Every time I think this is all in my head, wham, I get flattened by something new the next day.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. That is my biggest fear as well. sad

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I have replapsing remitting ms and like you I struggle with walking. I have a walking stick permanently in my car just in case but like Vicky said you must at least try to walk as you will lose the strength if you don't. And as for the brain fog, tramadol helps me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.