When do you need treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone

i have just found this board and wondered if I could get some advice please?  My blood tests results have just come back and they say

TSH 0.005L range (0.270-4.200)

FT4, free thyroxin 30.52H range (12.00-22.00)

i have  heart palpitations, sweats, I think my eye sight is getting worse, I am irritable but no weight loss.

is this similar to anyone else's reading please? 

I would be be very grateful for any advice

thanks in advance

Ruth

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Here are my readings:

FREE T4 0.80-1.90... 1.60

TOTAL T4 4.5-12.5 ...10.2

T3,TOTAL 76-181 ...142

T3,FREE 2.3-4.2 ...4.1

TSH 0.40-5.00 ...<0.004 

My TSH is almost at your level. I feel fine but my doctor is putting me through the paces. At my request he ordered a large battery of tests because I hesitate to have the radioactive iodine uptake scan he wants me to have.

What did your doctor say? Are you having the RAIU?  (scan) 

If you are symptomatic I would imagine your doctor would want to treat you. This is all new to me too so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. 

Would you please share what your doctor said, his diagnosis, and how he wants to treat you and whether or not he ordered the thyroid scan with radioactive iodine?

I don't have weight loss either by the way. 

I look forward to other replies and your doctor's suggestions.

Hang in there :-) 

Jeannie

• Posted

Hi 

thanks for your reply.  He wants to treat my high blood pressure and heart rate with beta blockers.  He hasn't ordered a scan.  I had one last year which showed nodules on my thyroid and I had a "lump" removed from my neck.  He didn't mention this but we didn't speak after the diagnosis he just emailed.

the beta blockers make me feel like a zombie.

he said sometime soon it is long term and sometimes it is temporary due to an inflamed thyroid.

i will go back and see him after the weekend.  the other symptoms I have are sweating, anxiety and irritability, tiredness

thanks again

Ruth

• Posted

Your doctor will most likely prescribe you with carbimazole which slows down the production of thyroxine in the thyroid. It takes a few weeks to work. In the meantime, it is usual for the doctor to prescribe beta blockers for the palpitations and other heart problems. Have you seen your doctor yet about the results?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.