When does the pain stop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody,

I've posted on several boards pertaining to life after surgery on Achilles heel tendon. I am 10 weeks post op and completed 6 weeks of physical therapy. My question is is to those who have experienced the surgery prior to mine - how long does it or did it take for the pain in your foot to go away? P/T has helped a lot but my foot swells and that's where the pain seems to be. P/T says it's normal as this week made my 2nd week back to work and after weeks of not walking, some swelling is normal as well as pain. She said that as long as I'm not experiencing numbness I should be fine.

Yesterday I went for my post-op appointment with surgeon and he said that the pain was from inflammation and gave me a prescription for a cream to use in my foot. It is only the 2nd day but I can feel a difference. Also, I should note that that prior to post op appointment I had stopped elevating my foot. That has changed and even as I writ this post my foot is propped up high!

Since going back to work I have been using a cane and wearing my sneakers. I just want an idea of how much longer will this swelling and paiin last? I just wanna go back to normal. Sorry for the long post guys, just losing steam and need a push from folks who went through or are going through what I am.

Oh I also got another prescription for 6 more weeks of P/T.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

6 weeks since surgery I just got out of boot had no pain but swelling went back to boot for day at work. Resumed gym worked 30lbs quads only and rode stationary bike. Swelling can last months as per my surgeon and another 6 weeks of PT. Pain I've really had none but ice elevate and sleeve I would suggest. Today better than yesterday so hopefully better with each passing day.

• Posted

And how about the stiffness of the foot? Do you feel that the achilles is thick and hard as a rock? I would say that I can bend it at 50% now and I'm 8 weeks post op.

• Posted

No stiffness but does feel odd by incision which I was told is scar tissue which gets massaged when at therapy. I was told my tendon is good and thick. I feel good otherwise just swelling is my only issue plus building back strength not much atrophy of my calf muscle I was told it looks fairly good. My therapist and surgeon have said I am doing quite well for a48 year old guy. My family and boss advise me to retire from sports but we shall see. 
  • Posted

I'm nowhere near you. I'm 8 weeks post op and I just started PT this week. Since PT I have had a lot of swelling and they say that is normal. I'm down to one crunch, but after being on my feet for a hour I'm in pain and my heel hurts. I worry about when I will be able to go back to work since I'm a physical education teacher and I'm on my feet about 6 hours a day. I do elevate my foot stool and ice after I do my PT exercises.

• Posted

I actually went back to work 23 days after surgery was in boot with 2 wedges 17 days after surgery and it does take a little to learn to walk again. I too am on my feet all day up and down swelling was definitely an issue first few days but never fully resolved. My surgeon says it can be months before swelling is gone. Out of my boot 100% today but was told this 2 days ago. I went to a game wore my sneakers first time in 6 weeks did have swelling. Friday did not trust being without boot since I am up and down on my feet did have swelling. Currently I ice , keep elevated and take aleeve as needed no pain ever. Psychologically need to get over fact that I may hurt myself again but will slowly ween off boot. 
  • Posted

Thankfully, stiffness is t a. Issue for me. My P/T says that she's amazed at mobility. Swelling and pain have been my problem. After reading the responses (thx guys) I now realize that by not elevating my foot, the swelling caused the pain.

• Posted

I went back to work after 3 weeks in a knee scooter. Just started weight bearing Wednesday (7 weeks post op). It hurts like hell and my wrists and elbows take a beating with the crutches/walker. I haven't started PT yet but I've had no swelling since coming out of the cast at week 3.

• Posted

I have not had any real pain more swelling than anything just ice and it'll get better once you start PT. also keep up as much as you can.

• Posted

Thanks for the info Heck630! Hope your recovery continues to go well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.