When should I stop using my stick

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I am 6 and a half weeks post op (posterior uncemented ceramic) and am just wondering when I should try and walk unaided?

I am using one stick at the moment but I am still leaning on my stick for support.

My worry is I had a limp for 3 years before having the op done, and I want to try my best to get rid of it.

If I try without my stick the I wobble side to side and have to go really slowly. Will it just be that one day I will wake up and be able to walk unaided or should I be practicing even if I have a limp.

Many to as in advance

Jacqui

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should have said

Many thanks in advance 😊

• Posted

Hi Jacqui I'm just short of 6 weeks post op and have been trying over the past couple of weeks to walk without a walking stick, with some success.  I also limped pre op (though only for a couple of years) and don't want to get back into old habits.

I find that to walk smoothly, without limping or lurching, I have to walk slowly and clench my bum really hard.  The bum clenching idea came from my pt.  A bit odd I initially thought, but it does seem to work.

Also, don't try to do too much too soon.  A little and often seems to be the answer, just try to do a little more each time.

If nothing else, think what a lovely firm bottom you're going to have afterwards!rolleyes

• Posted

Haha yes that's certainly a bonus ?? I've seen some videos on YouTube of people walking unaided at 3 weeks and it was getting me down. I was thinking, what can't i do this? What's wrong with me? I suppose I shouldn't compare, but it's so difficult not to

Jacqui

• Posted

Yes I know it's difficult not to compare yourself with other people who seem to be doing so much better than you.

I suspect we all do it, 

Seriously, try standing on your own without your stick and clench those buttocks and see how you feel.  It might take quite a few tries before you manage to stand upright and not sway like a drunken sailor - I know I did, nearly made myself sea sick!  But I perservered and managed it, then I started walking.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Okie dokie, I will try this every time I get up before I use my stick. 

Can I just check with you.... I'm walking 10mins every hour round the house and garden, and doing my exercises X 4 a day. Does this seem enough at this stage? I also walk for 25 mins in a single walk every other day.

i really should try driving soon....maybe this weekend ??

• Posted

Sounds good to me.

Just a thought, are you doing the exercises correctly?  The only reason I ask is that I found I wasn't....

I'm going to try driving at the end of this week too.

• Posted

Hi Jacqui.

sorry to hear that you were having a blue day. We can relate to you. Hope today is better. I am still using a cane after 3.5 months as I limp otherwise. Others have good advice about practising walking slowly and squeezing the butt cheek. My physiotherapy also gave me some adductor exercises to strengthen my gluteus. Just a suggestion but I would walk every day if you can. It's good exercise and getting out can lift your mood. You can also practice walking if there is a railing outside or inside putting your hand on the side of your good leg. I go along big a pier boardwalk and find I can walk straight without the cane.

Take Care,

Cathy

• Posted

When you feel ready - I used 'hiking poles' with antishock built in for some time after - a better grip position.

• Posted

Great idea - I had forgotten about these RM! Thanks - this really makes sense to me as it helps manage weight balance which helps with limping.

Just go slowly Jacqui - one day you will find yourself walking well although as all else with this journey, there will be days when you feel a bit of a relapse in this regard (tired or overdid it).

Best,

L

• Posted

Xox.

It is a rainy dull day here, but oh my we needed the rain. Sometimes I think the THR journey is the same - some days we just need a quiet (rainy) day for our body to say: oh yes that feels good.

😊☔

Hugs,

L

• Posted

Hi Jacqui -- I'm at 5 weeks and I'm still using a cane and even a 4-wheeled walker outside.  Without them, I start limping and I'm really trying to avoid that.

When I do walk, I make sure I clench my glutes with every step -- If you're pushing off on the left leg, really clench the glutes (butt) of the left leg. Then as the left leg touches the ground and you start to push off on the right leg, really clench the right glutes.    I'm finding that is really helping me not limp and it's really strengthening all those muscles.  Might look a little strange so I do it lots at home or I have these long hallways in my building and I practice it there.  

I've been doing some reading about that trendelenburg gait -- it's what I think I do when I try walking unaided and it is all about weak glutes and weak abductor muscles.  

Leslie

• Posted

My surgeon underscored the importance of these and not just for the short-term.

It sounds as if you have been committed to your recovery and the work it needs - when I saw my surgeon last week, he complimented me on te same and noted that a shocking number of people do not not do the work and are surprised when the outcome is poor. I noted that I could not have faced him to ask for my second hip if I hadn't done as prescribed. He just smiled sadly and wished that more patients had the same attitude.

Keep up the great work.

L

• Posted

Hi Leslie,

I've been trying the clenching and wow, how difficult is that? I'm still on my stick and I'm 7 weeks in Friday. I went to see my physio for the first time yesterday, and she wants me to walk with 2 sticks for walking practice. Also I have got to add hip raises while lying on the bed (haha!!! These seem hard too and the clam exercise!!!!)

So that's my focus for the next week until I see her again. I'm back on some pain relief now she's increased everything ??

Oh and my knee on the operated side still feels at though there is a tight band around it, that can't be helping either

Hope you are well,

Jacqui

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.