When should I take the Folic Acid for Mtx?

Posted , 14 users are following.

My Rheumatologist said 2 days before 2 days after, I have read 24 hours before and 24 hours after but I have also read that people take it every day?

What works for you?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in the UK, only been on MTX for about a month and I've been told to take 10mg 5 days later. Surprising that it's so different

• Posted

My Rhuemy asked me to take it everyday. It's good to take everyday as we are taking medicines for RA.

• Posted

I am in the U.K. I'm on the max dose of 25mg of MTX a week (tablets) and my rheumatologist has me taking 5 mg of folic acid once a week, 3 days after the MTX.

Thankfully so far the only side effect I have had is a bit of an upset stomach for the days in between MTX and folic acid.

It is weird how there is such varying advice.

• Posted

Actually I should have said mine is 10mg 4 days later. Didn't realise I was so tired that it was interfering with my ability to count!

• Posted

Im in the UK..im on 15mg MTX tablets and was told to take 5mg of folic acid 3 days after..

After a few weeks..i was frequently feeling/being sick (like constant morning sickness...) so my Reumy told me to up the folic acid to 5mg every day except MTX day.

Ive been told MTX day is the only day you shouldnt take folic acid as it can prevent MTX from working....but im a newbie to all of this so im.sire others will be far more infomative than me x

• Posted

Nausea is dif a side effect of MTX..i was fine for the 1st feq weeks..then it hit.

The Reumy offered me injections..which i couldnt face (im still getting my head round my diagnosis without throwing that into the mix)

Anti sickness tabs (no use as they are supposed to be taken after food and im worse during night/1st thing)

Or increase if folic acid ..

As for FA on MTX days..this is the info i was given..

"because of its action on the enzyme involved in the metabolism of folic acid, giving relatively large doses of folic acid acts as an antidote to the drug. If you were to take the folic acid on the same day as the methotrexate it would undoubtedly reduce the effectiveness of the methotrexate. But giving the folic acid on the other days of the week avoids this reduction in effectiveness and also prevents some of the side-effects "

• Posted

I started with 7 methotrexate pills a week and moved to 20mg injection once a week. I have been on folic acid, 2mg (2 pills) a day, since diagnosis. My rheumatologist told me never to take them together. There should be at least 6 hours between them. So I take folic acid every morning and methotrexate friday night.
  • Posted

Gosh I didn't realise how the folic acid varies from hospital to hospital I am on 15mg of methotrexate a week then take 5mg of folic acid the other six days, it seems an alwful high dose but I have been really well since September on it

• Posted

I take Folic Acid every day. My Rhuematologist said that the Methotrexate doesn't deplete my body of folic acid, but it uses up pretty much all of the natural folic acid your body produces.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.