when should treatment start?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed as "pre diabetic" (HbA1c score 6.5): I have lost a lot of weight, I am hungry all the time, I am losing feeling in my toes on one foot, my vision is blurry and getting worse, but my doctor still says "we'll keep an eye on it" – no advice other than to have a good diet (I always have) and lots of exercise (I do). At what point do doctors decide to take action, does anyone know?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Ask to be referred to a diabetic clinic if you are UK. Well done on the weight loss. That is the best thing you could do. At a diabetic clinic a nurse will check your health then you will see a podiatrist who will check your feet and you will have eye retinopathy checks too by an ophthalmologist or trained professionals.

• Posted

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I didn't mean to lose weight, I have lost over a stone for no good reason and now weigh 7 st 9 lbs which is well underweight. No, I'm not on any medication, I haven't been offered any. I never have been keen on sugary things so nothing much to cut out there. I am frantic with worry as I can't see properly and am losing feeling in my toes. I guess I'll just have to try a different GP!

• Posted

Do you have digestion problems? What sort of diet are you on? Are you a "busy busy" person and do lots of exercises?

• Posted

No, I have no digestive problems, and I'm not on any "diet", I just eat sensibly with loads of fruit and veg and no processed food, and not too much carbs. I am a very busy person! – and get lots of exercise just walking about every day, and I do pilates too.

• Posted

You mention fruit and veg - do you eat meat, fish, seafood, eggs, poultry and dairy produce?

I had a similar incidence to you in March last year when the resulst of an HbA1c test read as follows

"51 mmol,/rnr when (42 - 47 mmol/mol) - High risk of developing DM"

I'd been "borderline" diabetic for years but on the strength of the above my doctor immediately put in on Metformin 4 x 500mg per day and by August (six months later) my level had dropped to 40 and I had "lost" a stone in weight from thirteen and a half stones to twelve and a half.

My Metformin was reduced to 2 x 500 per day and since then my six monthly levels have risen  to 43 in February this year and 44 in August whilst my weight has remained stable.

I was sent on 4 x two hour courses with a diabetes nurse, physio, dietitian and footcare persons.  Unfortunately because it was in a "classroom" type situation, with my deafness it was difficult for me to follow all that was being said.

I requested my doctor for a referral to a dietitian which was a "one to one" situation.  I had listed every item of food and drink every day for a week and she agreed that it was "fine" and as my diet seldom varies I have carried on like that.

So - according to the figures above, I'm not sure whether I am under the threshold to be called diabetic as the "Best Levels between 48 to 68 is associated with your lowest risk of complications for the future".

• Posted

Yes, I eat everything! – meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc etc with modest amounts of carbs – rice, starchy veg, wholemeal bread. I wish I was getting the attention you had, I feel a bit abandoned. However, I have now made an appointment to see a different GP and will make sure I have a list of questions with me.
  • Posted

Are you not on Metformin or some other medication?  Advice is to eat a small amount evry two or three hours and yes you should be getting advice from your surgery.
  • Posted

The truth is there is no specific diet for those who are diabetic. As long as you are eating a healthy diet.  Try to cut out sugary things.

When I was diagnosed as diabetic in May my doctor immediately put me on a tablet called metformin. You could ask your doctor if yuo could have them.

The test I had counts the score differently. Apparently they diagnose at a score of 49 and I was 84.  I have now come own to 52.

Hope this helps.  Keep in touch

Love Sarah xx   

• Posted

Hi Sue, sometimes we get things wrong. You must be worried if you are losing weight and not trying to. I agree you should see another GP if you can.

I am sorry I misunderstood and made assumptions too. I hope you get this sorted.

• Posted

Thank you, Chrisy. Yes, I am worried – I do suffer from anxiety so try not to take myself too seriously, but losing that amount of weight is alarming. I have now made an appointment to see a different GP to see what she says, and this time I'll ask all the questions I need the answers to. I do wonder if I have late-onset type 1 diabetes which I've read about on the internet (of course), but I hesitate to mention it as GPs aren't keen on you suggesting diagnoses that you've googled!

• Posted

Just to update: I have now seen a different GP. She says my HbA1c score has gone down to 6.2 and I am definitely NOT diabetic, though she is referrring me to an endocrinologist just to make sure (good!). She thinks the blurred vision and the numb toes are caused by alcohol and I must cut down (from current 14 units a week – I will halve it to 7 and see if that has any effect). Other than that I should have a check-up every six months just in case. Ah well.
    • Posted

Hi again, instead of saying I don't know the doctor will often try to give you an answer. Wait until you see the endocrinologist before worrying. They should be able to get to the bottom of things. Cutting back on the alcohol can only be a good thing. Hope all goes well. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.