When to go to hospital

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was just diagnosed wit secondary adrenal insufficiency - Addison's disease. My daughter has a bad cold, aches and pains, settling into her lungs. I've had a cold for as long as I can remember but now it's getting into my sinuses and lungs. I have a mad pain in my left lower back and I have a fever that comes and goes. My internist said to double up. Would I just give it a few days to see if it'll improve on its own or should I go have all of this checked out in our emergency department. (Canada)?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

See if the extra Meds help(double dose) first.

If you don't feel better shortly, call your gp

Or go to to hospital to get checked out. I've

been there before on this. Best to you.

• Posted

Have you had the pain in your side in your back before?  That is the biggest concern for me right now. The thing is that I am having to take something to manage the pain and that's interfering with my sleep. It's Tramadol. How long do I give it?  This is exhausting...monitoring the symptoms and learning to read them. How long did it take you before you really got a handle on it?  My mum and I were talking and she said that I told her 'I'll give it a few days' a few days ago. I just don't want to be that patient who reacts at everything but, on the other hand, I don't want to wait until it's too late like I did last time. This is so frustrating. 
  • Posted

Can i ask how they diagnosed you, can you remember your morning cortisol level, hope your feeling better soon am in the uk x
    • Posted

I contracted SAI by the cancer drug Yervoy.

my levels were basically flat after treatment.

It's taken me about a year to get my HC dosage figured out. You will also, just time is

all. I'm in Houston, Tx . Take care.

• Posted

I was admitted to hospital with liver damage which lead to a referral to an internist. She was the one to do the testing and research. She was determined to find the cause behind the symptoms. She found that many of my levels were out of whack. She administered a cortrosyn injection to confirm her suspicions and basically, it provided her with the diagnosis. Honestly, I was depleted at that point so although she told me what my levels were and she even went as far as providing me with a printout, I can't for the life of me, remember what they were. Basically I've had symptoms for the most part of my life and after having asked the right questions (the internist that is), she knew what she was looking for. What gets me is that I've wasted so many years of my life with a label of mental illness. This diagnosis explains everything!!! I'm actually sitting in the emergency room right now. I decided to come in because I can no longer manage the pain at home.
  • Posted

There is a standard guideline when your fever exceeds 101 or more. Check the National Adrernal website for the temperature range.

I've had Primary Adrenal Insufficiency, or Addison's Disease since Jan 1993. At that time 4 out of 10 were diagnosed on the autopsy table. I'm an American, moved to the UK in 1984 and resided there until 2001.

I have always taken 30 mg of Hydrocortisone along with 100mg of Fludrocoritsone. You need a good endocrinologist. Generally speaking, you have to learn how to take an extra 10 mg if you start feeling rough or fatigue.

You also should take extra 10mg if you have dental work and if you have a serve cold or virus top up with extra 10mg to 20mg. Everyone is different and I think that's due to your lifestyle.

If you are, what I refer to very sick at either end, you are going to become dehydrated and you could have a crisis.

That's when it hospital time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.