When to take pred, when undergoing this procedure??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wonder if someone (Eileen will know I`m sure!) could advise me....I`m having a colonoscopy on Friday morning (8.30) next week, and of course I have to drink those wonderful laxatives from day before! (oh joy)  I slpit my dose 8.5mg with breakfast, 3mg eveing meal....I will have clear soup evening before (yuk) and take the 3mg....but was wondering if it would be better to wait till procedure is over before taking larger dose, Friday am.....I will be having sedationsad.......Thanks for any advise...

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

not an answer .... I was going to ask my GP today as she's been pressing me to have a colonoscopy. However, I had to explain how disappointed I was when she explained I couldn't have a colonoscopy at the same time as the Brilinta/Crestor and I should be taking them for at least a year after coronary stent. Which left us with explanations for everything except when to take the pred pre colonoscopy.
    • Posted

The day before having the coloscopy was worse than the procedure, because of feeling so drained and empty!  so...because of taking pred in the morning I decided to wait till it was over...I had a 8.30am appointment, and didn`t want to feel odd by just having the pred inside me!...it worked a treat, so I hope this helps.  Good luck!
  • Posted

The problem with taking Pred while undergoing such procedures is that they geat reduce one's immune response.  Are you taking 14.5 mg daily?  But for the fact that you are taking such a high dose, I would say skip it altogether on the day of the procedure.  At that dose, your immune system is seriously compromised, so I think I would take half the usual amounts on that day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.