Which hospitals perform POEM surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been told that there are just a few hospitals that offer the POEM surgery:  Cleveland, Ohio, Tulane Hospital in New Orleans, John Hopkins in Baltimore, Mayo Clinic.....  Can you tell me any other hospitals?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They offer it at Stanford.  There's also a surgeon named Lee Swanstrom in Portland Oregon.  I don't know what hospital he performs it in, though.  There is a facebook group (actually there are a few) called Achalasia: Questions, Answers, and Support, that has files of things to read and one is a list of POEM surgeons around the world.  

Good luck!  Amy

• Posted

It is always useful to know these things.   The only thing I would advise is to make sure that you take good advice beforehand.   A careful diagnosis of your problems would indicate where your issues are, and the treatment decision should flow on from that logic.  Otherwise you do, in one sense, have a decision about the solution trying to fit itself into the problem rather than the other way round.

One question to ask the surgeon about POEM would be about the risk of reflux afterwards and how this might be controlled.   The surgeon may well reassure you.   The fundoplication wraps (eg Nissan, Toupet) are put in place after a myotomy in order to achieve this valve effect to keep the reflux from rising.   It may be that a myotomy sometimes has to be extended further up the oesophagus, and one thing that the best clinics would do is to conduct high resolution manometry to illustrate better where the problems are located.

• Posted

Dr. Pandolfino at northwestern university Chicago preforms POEM. He is great and has a study being conducted on achalasia.
  • Posted

They offer it at West Penn Hospitol In pittburgh PA. The surgeon is Dr. Jobe. He has performed over a 120 of them. I had mine a week ago last Friday.

Good Luck!

Best

a

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.