Which medicine has least sude effects.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just found out that I have an UTI caysed by ecoli. Dr wants me to take Cipro or Macrobid  Anyone have experience with these

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have no problems with Macrobid Ive been getting uti, since June of 2015 and i am allergic to sulfur so I take the Macrobid, insted of Bactrim, It woks ok for me.

• Posted

Jadene1959

any serious side effects?

• Posted

No i havent had any side effects at all, I am also on a low dose of it to keep me from getting another one, cause I would take a coarse of it, get better, then 1 week later Id have another one, and this kept happeneing for 3 months so now I take 1 every day for prevenitive reasons
  • Posted

NEVER take Cipro, or any other quinolone antibiotic.  They are very strong and  actually damage your own cells as well as the bacteria.  Some people have very severe reactions to taking Cipro or it's relatives, and the damage is still affecting them years after they took the pills. 

Cipro is also specially mentioned in respect of E. Coli, because when it kills the bacteria they release a large amount of toxin which can kill you!  Your doctor should know about this!  I read it on a site called scientific american.

I think Macrobid is quite safe, it's also known as Nitrofurantoin and is commonly given for urine infections.  It is effective against e.coli.

• Posted

I almost died taking Macrobid, literally.  It was prescrbed for a uti and on the second day of taking it I couldn't breathe.  It permanently damaged my lungs 
  • Posted

I wouldn't take either, go and buy some d-mannose this will always get rid of an ecoli infection and is a natural product.
  • Posted

@ suzy19273

I bought some. Does this treat an ecoli UTI? How long will it take and how often and much? 

• Posted

Yes, 100% effective for ecoli. If you google - I use the powder. There is an emergency routine - 1 heaped teaspoon for 1st hour, then another an hour later, then level every 3 hours for 2/3 days. It really is amazing I find it unbelievable that the doctors don't prescribe it.
  • Posted

Hi Dolores,

I've just Googled D-Mannose and E.coli - there are a lot of results there that back up what Suzy just said.  She maybe gave an actual link which is why the moderator deleted it.  One site I read said you may need to take the D-Mannose for 3 months to get the E.cploi completely gone.  The problem is - if e.coli gets up into your kidneys, then you're in for trouble, which is probably why doctors daren't risk it.  

I suggest you Google and make your own mind up whether to take the emergency regime then a maintenance dose of D-mannose. or whether to take the Macrobid (which may not kill all the e.coli, so it comes back to haunt you!).  Diffficult choices - the only thing I will say for definite is NEVER touch Cipro or any other fluoroquinolone - the risks are even higher.  Sorry not to be more helpful.

• Posted

Hi, yes I gave a link but it doesnt work. I've suffered from UTIs for 8 years, and had too many AB's for my liking. I have suffered for the last 8 months, and finally after taking d-mannose I am practically symptom free - and I've had constant cystistus symptoms for 8 months. They finally found ecoli - so I have taken the emergency dosage for 3 weeks as I've been so bad. It really does work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.