Which type of pnuemonia vaccine (PCV13 and/or PPSV23) necessary each 5 years?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After receiving the most recent pnuemonia vaccination booster of PPSV23 (required each 5 years), it was suggested by the nurse that I would also need to consider an additional secondary pnuemonia vaccine classified as PCV13. It was never pointed out to me previously (in the last 18 years of being treated for asplenia) that I would need more than one pnuemonia vaccine every 5 years to protect my immune system. Upon further research, I have learned that there are approximately 90 strains of the pnuemonia virus (PCV13 accounts for 50% of infections and PPSV23 covers 71% of infections). Are both of these pnuemonia vaccines necessary each 5 years and, if so, is there a particular dosage and spacing apart/order to take them so that they are most effective against as many strains of pnuemonia infection as possible?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. So far in last 17 yrs since splenectomy I've had 3 vaccines for pneumonia. 4 actually but had to be redone due to refrigerator not being cold enough. Nobody has mentioned the second one to me. Thank you for the information. Pauline.

• Posted

I get PCV13 every 5 years. My understanding is PPSV23 is a once (plus 1 booster if received when young) in a lifetime vaccination. I think I got this when I had my accident and therefore will not get it again.

I get the impression the 2 don't interact very well.

Dave

• Posted

Thank you for this helpful information. Regarding your impression about the poor interaction between PCV13 and PPSV23, do you know if there is a particular time frame recommended between receiving each of the vaccinations so as not to cause complications?
  • Posted

I have read that you should have a minimum gap of 8 weeks between the two - but I would verify this with your doctor
    • Posted

According to the CDC: "ACIP Recommendations for PCV13 and PPSV23 Use

Adults with specified immunocompromising conditions who are eligible for pneumococcal vaccine should be vaccinated with PCV13 during their next pneumococcal vaccination opportunity.

Pneumococcal vaccine-naïve persons. ACIP recommends that adults aged =19 years with immunocompromising conditions, functional or anatomic asplenia, CSF leaks, or cochlear implants, and who have not previously received PCV13 or PPSV23, should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23 at least 8 weeks later (Table). Subsequent doses of PPSV23 should follow current PPSV23 recommendations for adults at high risk. Specifically, a second PPSV23 dose is recommended 5 years after the first PPSV23 dose for persons aged 19–64 years with functional or anatomic asplenia and for persons with immunocompromising conditions. Additionally, those who received PPSV23 before age 65 years for any indication should receive another dose of the vaccine at age 65 years, or later if at least 5 years have elapsed since their previous PPSV23 dose.

Previous vaccination with PPSV23. Adults aged =19 years with immunocompromising conditions, functional or anatomic asplenia, CSF leaks, or cochlear implants, who previously have received =1 doses of PPSV23 should be given a PCV13 dose =1 year after the last PPSV23 dose was received. For those who require additional doses of PPSV23, the first such dose should be given no sooner than 8 weeks after PCV13 and at least 5 years after the most recent dose of PPSV23." More info: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6140a4.htm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.