Who else is fed up having IBS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Aspergers and Social Anxiety and on top of that IBS. My anxiety and depression are made worse by my IBS symptoms. After every meal I experience obvious discomfort, tightness and bloating in my lower abdomen that gives me the slight urge I need to go to the toilet. This feeling makes me much more sensitive to touch (eg. clothes, wind brushing against me) - not a common symptom it seems. I also have flat, broken up stools and incomplete evacuation everytime I use the toilet. When I go out, how productive I am, how much fun I have, how much sleep I get ect. is largely dependant on how my gut feels that day. I've been spending at least a couple of hours a day in front of the computer searching endlessly for causes of, remedies for and people suffering from the same problem I have. I've tried so many things to get relief; fibre suppliments, probiotics, digestive enzymes, L-Glutamine, Movicol, Kefir, stuff the doctor prescribed and all of it has little or no effect. I've had a blood test done for celiac and stool sample for inflammation which were both negative. I've thought about getting a colonoscopy but I have a trip to Europe coming up very soon with family and I'm not sure I'll get to book the appointment in soon enough. I'm very stressed about the trip as I know it's going to be very difficult to enjoy in my state. I'm now starting the low FODMAP diet and praying for results. I've also been going for a daily jog/excercise, despite my discomfort. Honestly though, I'm not expecting any results, I'm nearly ready to give up. My suicidal thoughts are back and I feel like crying. I just want to be able to have normal bowel function, is that too much to ask?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please dont give up I know its hard but I know it will get better. I have had ibs for over 20 years first have you done a food and drink diary, I found I cant eat onions through doing that. Food you could eat last year your body may not take it this year. Over the years I have had to remove milk, wheat and other foods never think your ibs stays the same it doesnt. The pain going to the toilet I have it too, this may sound daft but dont fight the pain take deep breaths to get through it. Have you tried a stool softener this may help as for the senstive stomach that will go as well. Tried a bland diet for a while and take rehydration powders. These are things I have had to learn myself because over 20 years ago doctors just told you had it and sent you home. You can get through this please never think you are alone people on this site are here for you every step of the way, my husband has  Anxiety  after losing 3 members of his family he is nearly back to being himself again. There is help out there please dont let your suicdal thoughts win, we are here for you. Please let us know how you are doing and how we can help
  • Posted

I have Aspergers as well and IBS. I have no food intolerances, just constant in the background pain with occasional bad flare ups if I have bouts of anxiety. I get constipation, occasional loose stools and nausea. Exercise and less stress help my symptoms.  Buscopan and nurofen reduce my pain.  However, I have found that accepting IBS has much improved my symotoms from last year.

It may be worthwhile, asking your doctor about hypnotherapy, counselling or anti depressants which may help with raising your mood and reducing your symptoms.

• Posted

I have not been formally diagnosed with Aspergers, but I know I have it.  I have IBS.  I have many of the sams symptoms you write about.  I've been doing a very strict version of the low FODMAP diet and it gives me relief from D for the most part, but I have bloating daily.  This causing me discomfort for 70% of my day and makes it tough to sleep.  I have other health issues as well.  I have many of the same desparate feelings.  I have no interest in my own future.

• Posted

I have had IBS since I had my son 23years not a lot helps but some foods irratate it more so I avoid them I'm noiw suffering very badly as have two prolapses and also casnt go for a number two properly I like you get really down but things will get better try changing certain foods last year I was great when I did a diet but this year with the other things going on I'm suffering you just have to take days at a time . but do try certain foods out there is a lot that can bloat you and everyone is different so does take time hope you feel better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.