Who should I talk to about concerts?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am worried about the agonising back pain I've been having . It's 2 weeks since my THR operation . Should I talk to the ward I was on or the surgeon ? I'm in excruciating pain and it is getting worse . Not sure who to talk to .

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I meant concerns . Not concerts!! Typo X
  • Posted

Talk to ur doc. Probably need a muscle relaxer. I was on one post surgery until I was very mobile during the day. Two weeks out you are probably not moving much.
    • Posted

I will do that . It's just that I have had this pain in my back and down my leg for 6 months and now think it wasn't connected to my hip and I do feel I need some treatment for it . It seems not the pain I'd been having was not all due to my hip after all . It's the exact pain just worse! I feel very despondent .
  • Posted

Hi Nikki

Im so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Did your hospital give you a phone number to ring up to 4 weeks after you were discharged? If they did you should be able to ring them anytime 24 hours a day so if you can ring them now to ask their advice. I think you should also ring your consultants secretary tomorrow to  make an urgent appointment with them.

Are you taking any pain medication? Is the pain easier when you are sitting or lying down?

Linnet x

• Posted

Thank you .i did have a number to ring but you only get to speak to a nurse . I agree and think I should make an appointment to see my surgeon . I am

On constant painkillers . It seems to get worse late afternoon for some reason and the evenings are so long . It's worse sitting down

• Posted

It may get worse in the afternoon from your lack of sleep and the weariness you feel from debilitating pain. Try to get some rest even if you cant sleep and ring the doctors office first thing. You could still speak to a nurse tonight to ask advice re pain etc.

Let us know how you get on

Gentle hugs 

Linnet x

• Posted

Don't you love autocorrect?

What pain meds are you on - ibuprofen is ok for low/medium levels, tramadol / codeine is better (about 15 times as strong, see my 'relative strength table') for more severe pain.

Graham

• Posted

Hello Nikki,  I really feel for you, and from experience I understand the excruciating pain you are in.  Towards the end of my 1st hip replacement (2013) my A-Fib started up even though I had taken my medicine for it that morning as directed.  Unfortunately because of that, I was put on the Cardiac floor instead of the Orthopedic floor.  On the Cardiac floor they were not trained for getting Ortho patients up and out of bed.  I had to use a bedpan, sheet changing was very painful, because they were rolling me from side to side. Well as you probably have guessed, all of this lying in bed tightened everything up badly. I was having such excruciating back spasms, and could not for the life of me get them to understand or comprehend,  that the pain I was describing was coming from my back, Not my hip!  I was in the hospital for 6 days, then transferred to a live-in physical therapy facility.  Thankfully everyone had a private room there, because with the pain I was feeling from the spasms, I was sweating buckets. I wish someone had taken my temperature and blood pressure during those times. Anyways in the middle of the Winter I had both big windows wide open all of the time, and was still too hot when the spasms came.(the facility was all ground level) Various doctors would come and go, and apparently one grasped what my situation really was, and ordered a muscle relaxer.  Oh my gosh after 11 days (including 6 at the hospital) I finally had relief!!  The therapists immediately noticed the difference. Cathy, what happened?  I was smiling from ear to ear and had my happy go lucky personality back, something they didn't know I had.  I replied to them that they gave me a muscle relaxer, and clapped my hands like a little kid. Who would have ever guessed that such a little pill could bring me such relief?!  They laughed and were all so happy for me, that I was out of agony.  From then on my therapy was so much easier...   Are you home now Nikki, or are you in a therapy facility?  If you are home I would talk to your surgeon. If you are in a facility, they should have a resident doctor, and he could write you a prescription for a muscle relaxer.     I found out later that is who prescribed the med for me.  The wonderful nurses so much want to help us all they can, but cannot give us anything unless it is ordered by a doctor.  I'll be thinking about you Nikki, and really hoping you will will get some much needed relief... 
  • Posted

I'm sorry Nikki,  I just read the other letters.  Normally I would have read them first, as one should.  Anyways, I see now that my reply does not pertain to your situation, and I apologize for bothering you with it, especially with you being in extreme pain.

My best to you, and hoping you will get good news, as well as relief...   

• Posted

If you are in agonizing back pain you need to call your orthopedic doctor and request an appt for an evaluation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.