Whole mouth is sore.

Posted , 8 users are following.

The last few days I had an altered taste in my mouth. Thought maybe from mineral bone supplement. Today mouth seems like it's full of canker sores. I avoid toothpaste with sodium laurel sulfate known to cause canker sores.

I do not feel unwell.

Tomorrow I visit my dentist.

Can anyone relate?

I do take a steroid inhaler and rinse well afterward.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Asthma inhalers can cause some very peculiar effects - I have used inhalers for many, many years.  I personally found that taking a very sharp intake can cause problems in the throat  I was given a good piece of advice many years ago and that is to 'gently' inhale and try to make it long and deep.  I know it's not always possible if you are very short of breath or during a bad attack.  This is why they give it to you via an oxygen mask breaking a small glass vile into a container and allowing the oxygen to pass through and keep breathing gently.   I'm at zero pred and I still have to watch out but during the 2.5 years on pred I have very few attacks and for long periods didn't use and inhaler.  I also found that the Calcium with D3 was also good at keeping colds away which can aggravate asthma.  ??

• Posted

I use a spacer and bypass my cheeks. I was wondering if this was from a mouthwash with peppermint or the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. The whitening toothpastes can cause sensitivity. It seems every toothpaste has to "whiten". It looks like I have canker sores all over my mouth lining. 

I am going to try alum application until I see my dentist tomorrow. I am really suffering with this today.

• Posted

If you have tried a new toothpaste it could be the problem.  There are several famous brands I can't use because I get a sore mouth, and have had this problem for decades so nothing to do with pred.  There may be something you can use to soothe the tissues.  I find mint tea useful, but you may find something else is better.  Check with dr google...

• Posted

Concur with Anhaga - it can be caused by changes of anything new you may have tried.  I was looking purely from the inhaler point of view.

• Posted

Your Family Doctor can do a simple test to see if what you see in your mouth is thrush (a yeast infection). Test just takes a swab of the cheek and smears it on a slide, and adds potassium hydroxide to the slide.  Immediately the doctor or technician can see if this is the cause of your problem.  I don't know if dentists know how to do this test.

Thrush is common with steroid inhaler use and also more common in individuals who take steroids (which you probably do if you have PMR).

Treatment is also easy.

If not thrush, but canker sores, that takes time to heal.

• Posted

If you take  methorextate this will cause those problems and folicacid will solve that problem to some degree. However you didn't say that you take that. Just a thought.

• Posted

Karen ask your dentist for magic mouthwash.It is very helpful.

You can Google it and see what it is used for but it is very effective

in clearing the sores.Just a suggestion though and sorry your

having them,they do hurt.

• Posted

I visited my dentist; his hygienist recommended stopping any toothpaste with whitening agents. She said they are too harsh for regular use and also cause tooth sensitivity to cold. This applies to mouthwashes as well. I did stop the mouthwash and was better the next day. The mouthwash had no whitening but had a chlorine based disinfectant. She strongly recommends fluoride though to harder the teeth and a toothpaste for tooth sensitivity.

So the problem was solved.

• Posted

Wouldn't be so bad - except the whitening agents don't actually whiten. So they are pointless...

• Posted

The fad here in the US is "whiter teeth". I wasn't looking for whitening; it's just hard to find a dentifrice without whitening. My hygienist says they do whiten to some extent but at a price. Someone with severely stained teeth need a short professional treatment.

• Posted

Strange - I've heard dentists say they don't. Yes, I know about everyone's desire for whiter teeth!  Since our enamel has its own natural colour that is unlikely to change - without some pretty heavy-duty chemical action that personally I'd really prefer NOT to have going on in my mouth!

• Posted

I am in Australia and I expect you maybe in America. 

We have a wonderful toothpaste available here which is called PLAIN toothpaste made in new Zealand available in Pharmacie's in Oz. with fluroide protection.

No  added flavour or colour, no sugar or artificial sweeteners and no whiteners.

I was astounded on doing some research that a lot of the popular toothpastes contain sugar...... why?

I have been using this toothpaste for 2 years since being diagnosed with PMR, I find it wonderful, the whole family use it now.

best of luck      Track

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.