Whole side of face swelled :( how long will last?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi apparently I have a tooth abcess . It's a bonded tooth ( not that that is important I guess ). I'm on amoxicillin and now this morning my entire cheek is swelled up bad. I was away at a convention dealing with this . Am thankful the swelling didn't happen until yesterday . Dr. Said the cabin pressure from flying didn't help the situation . I have two questions . How long will the swelling , pain last and how do you even get an abcess . I feel I am very healthy . I don't eat or drink sugary foods , try to keep my immune system strong . I'm so upset over this . It has been so unbelievably painful .

Thank you anyone for you advice / help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie-

By bonded do you mean you have a crown on the tooth?

In my experience once a tooth develops an abscess you will lose that tooth.

I've had abscesses and subsequent root canals and crowns and repeat

Root canals and still ended up losing tooth because it gets brittle and roots

crack. That all being said, your abscess must be dealt with before any dentist

will treat tooth. (A holistic dentist will not do a root canal due to effects

of root canal on entire body.) Also, beware titanium implants as there are

Many problems associated with those also.

Be well.

• Posted

Hi Vicki

Thank you so much for your reply .

I guess better to say bonding on my tooth , more of a cosmetic reason . I'm not sure though if at some point I did have a root canal on that tooth .

My Dr has been great , letting me call him , said the root is already dead so fixing this will be easy for me . But he can't do anything till swelling goes down . I'm just so freaked over it. I've heard some horror stories about the seriousness of these abcesses. He said I need to try stay calm ( I know he's right but it's difficult ) and I've been on the antibiotic now for three and 1/2 days now . I'm just so upset .

• Posted

Hi Debbie-

Abscesses are due to bacteria finding it's way into the tooth itself or into the area around the root of the tooth. A root canal only attempts to seal up the main pulp arms going down into the root but the tooth actually has a maze of tiny tubules that can still hold bacteria even though the pulp in the major chamber has been removed and the area supposedly sterilized. (It's actually impossible to sterilize bone or tooth.) Your infection may also be from further damage to the tooth. Root-Canaled teeth are very brittle because they are dead (which is why a crown is needed.) and the tooth and the roots can crack very easily. I've had several root canals and all have developed abscesses. I've had root canals REPEATED. I've had roots cut off and sealed. But eventually every tooth has needed to be removed.

My current problem is a 20 year old root canal that has been repeated once, but I have an abscess under the entire molar that my regular dentist and oral surgeon have not wanted to remove for 10 years. I suspect they are not allowed by ADA to repeat root canal AGAIN but are hesitant to remove tooth even though it is causing systemic problems. I have found a holistic dentist who was AGHAST at the abscess and is removing tooth Friday. I was brought up to believe you do everything possible to keep teeth but now I know there are worse things than having teeth pulled! (And titanium implants  have bacterial problems also!)

Be well!

• Posted

Hi Vicki

thank You for the explanation, I still so swelled up. And I have to work like this not fun.  I am sorry for what you are going through, I feel for you !!

Take care and good luck.

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.