Whooping cough yes or no if no please advise how to resolve

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have had a cough for a few weeks now it started with pretty much nothing I felt fine then just started having coughing spasms and a constant irritation in my throat I don't vomit when I cough but I don't know if that means it isn't Whooping Cough. If you could tell me what it is and how to deal with it that would be great. I am a 16 year old Male 9 1/2 stone, I do regular exercise and I am on a normal diet. Thank you smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's probably the virus that's going around. I've had it for four weeks and it's going now, I know a couple of people who had it for 6weeks. It starts off as maybe like a cold for a few days then that goes and a couple days later you get the sore throat, irritating cough with coughing fits, perhaps some loss of voice for a few days. In time it may go into your chest when you will need antibiotics for it. Try Vicks vapour rub on your feet then cotton socks on top 2/3 times a day. And a hoarde of tissues on standby. Get lots of rest. And drink lots. 
  • Posted

I had whooping cough as a child, it is like no other, you would certainly know if you had it, there is a distinctive whoop sound and what I remember most was rushing out into the garden each time and retching. My sister was a baby at the time and everyone was concerned about her catching it. I seem to have suffered no long term I'll affects, I had no childhood vaccinations as my mum had been a nurse in a fever hospital during the war. She had seen more children die as a result of vaccines than from the diseases themselves so although vaccines improved my mum remained firmly against. We both turned out healthy specimens so perhaps she was right after All! I have not heard of an adult getting whooping cough since most of our generation had the vaccine I should think it highly unlikely you have. I once had such a tickly cough as you have and the doctor prescribed codeine lintus which was brill.he said the cough becomes involuntary and the linctus relaxes the muscles in the throat that cause the constant cough. Good luck and let us know how you go on

• Posted

Cheers man I will try and get something to help with it will give you updates as and when sympsons appear and dissapear.
  • Posted

Would it affect me doing Air Experience Flying this sunday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.